Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: chickpeas?

Default chickpeas?

does anyone know at what age babies can have chickpeas? i have a 7 month old ds and wondering if they are safe and if they should be mushed, or halved?

tia

Default Re: chickpeas?

Addie LOVES chick peas. I usually cut them in half. We never mash anything. I would think 7 months would be fine to introduce them. Are you letting your baby feed themself?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I'm so glad you brought this up! What a GREAT food for self feeding. Thanks for the ideas, I was thinking about some good ideas for finger foods that were quick but not processed.

Thanks for asking this question. We love chick peas and I make a mean garlic, chickpea soup...anyways...

At what age do they start being able to pick things up? Shiloh LOVES food and I'd love to put a few on his tray to eat...but he can't seem to pick them up on his own...they slip out of his hands.

He will pick up watermelon because its so big, but the cheerios and peas are still too illusive for his little hands.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    Thanks for asking this question. We love chick peas and I make a mean garlic, chickpea soup...anyways...

At what age do they start being able to pick things up? Shiloh LOVES food and I'd love to put a few on his tray to eat...but he can't seem to pick them up on his own...they slip out of his hands.

He will pick up watermelon because its so big, but the cheerios and peas are still too illusive for his little hands.
    Adeline started mastering her pincher grip at about 7.5 months. I think somewhere around 8 months is when she really had a good handle on stuff like O cereal and such. And to be honest, the slippery stuff is still kind of tricky - hit and miss as far as what makes it to her mouth without slipping out first. The chick peas are super slippery! They sometimes slip down into her hand, but she has figured out how to shove her whole hand in her mouth and suck it off when that happens ... quite a sight!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

thanks. we'll probably wait a few months on those then!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

so if you just havles the peas and not mash it up, baby won't choke? my son is 6 1/2 month with no teeth yet. he's got a pretty tight grip on things right now and wanted to introduce other food besides puree veggies and fruits.