Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby is in 95th percentile in weight!!

Default Re: Baby is in 95th percentile in weight

DS2 always topped out the chart when he was a baby. Now he is 6 and he can pull off his 6 slim pants without unbuttoning them. (It is too inconvenient.) Not all BF babies are slim.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks everyone for all the support and advice. I do feel much better about my baby being big with all of your personal stories. I will keep feeding him on demand and not stress about if he knows when to stop eating. He is healthy and that is what truly matters. From what you are telling me his growing will eventually slow down and I shouldn't worry. I will look more into block feeding. This is the first time I've heard of it.
    I was asked if dad is a big guy and the answer is no. Dad is average height and weight. I'm average height and weight as well.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback.
    Last edited by @llli*frenchgirl; September 13th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Mama, he will be FINE.

All of my babies are wearing 3-6 month clothing by the time they were 8 weeks. One was born wearing it -- really. I was transferred to the hospital postpartum, and my DH had to bring bigger clothes to the hospital for the baby because what I'd packed was too small (). None are overweight -- in fact, one is underweight now. BF babies grow FAST at the beginning and then slow down around 4-6 months.

Make sure your doc is using the BF baby chart, as that may make his growth seem a little less extreme.

It's just babies with moms with OALD and OS do tend to grow really fast; all they have to do is open their mouths to be fed but you cannot overfeed a BF baby from the breast (a bottle, yes -- you are not bottlefeeding, right?). So you really do not need to worry about this.

FWIW, your size and DH's size doesn't really matter. I was an itty bitty baby, DH was too, and we still seem to produce babies that are at least 9 lbs and grow super fast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My husband and I are very average sized - really on the petite side - folks. Joe was in the top 90th percentiles for weight, height, and head size (!) until about six months, when he started to slowly level out. Like most breastfed babies, he really started to "thin" down when he got mobile. It's lucky if your baby goes up in the charts in the beginning - moms of more slender breastfed babies often get flak from their doctors in the second half of the first year when their weight gain slows. It's textbook normal for BF'd babies - doctors need to get with the program!

At two and a half, Joe is going up up up - getting taller and taller, but hardly putting on any pounds. My little chubby baby is turning into a little boy, right before my eyes.

ETA: I had OS and OALD. Like Susan said, Joe didn't have to work for his food at all. It was like a firehose!

For block feeding, start by just offering one breast, and let your baby go as long as he wants on that breast. If your baby gets hungry again within the next two or three hours, offer that same breast again, and only switch if he rejects it and still seems hungry. Some moms have to go an even longer period of time on one breast before switching to really deal with the OS, but it's good to start small. So hopefully a few days of that, and you'll see an improvement in your baby's stools, etc.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; September 13th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I should add that I'm only 5'3" and DH is only 5'8" - both of my girls are in the 90th percentile in height now. They were over 95th in weight too - but they've both slimmed out now and are in the 70's.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and