Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby is in 95th percentile in weight!!

Default Baby is in 95th percentile in weight!!

My 6 week old son had a doctor's appointment today. He weighs 15lbs and is
    24" long. I was told he was in the 95th percentile and breaking all of his records in weight gain. He was born 8lbs 10oz , 21 1/2" and has put on weight fast since the very beginning.
    My doctor told us at his first visit that he does not know when to stop eating. I am confused since everyone says that you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby.
    He also has lots of gas, stomach pains, explosive poop, and is very fussy.
    The past two weeks he's been wanting to eat every 2 hours. Sometimes sooner and sometimes he'll wait longer. He wakes up every 2-3 hours at night for his feeding.
    I've given him formula 3 times to see if he would sleep longer (so I can get some rest) and he was hungry again after 3 hours.

My doctor's advice is to pump before feeding him since I have a fast let down. I tried that and he screamed for more so I gave him the other breast. And pumping before feeding him means I have to hear him crying extremely loud to be fed which breaks my heart.

I'm worried because all of the other moms I know have small babies and my baby is wearing 3 months already and will outgrow that very soon. I just want to know that he is going to be okay. That his growing will slow down. That this is not a sign of growth issues.

Do I keep feeding him as he demands and let him feed as long as he wants? Do I try to regulate his feeding?

I'm a first time mom and concerned. Any advice or support would help.

Thanks.

Default Re: Baby is in 95th percentile in weight

Okay, I think your doctor is giving you some ... how do I put this nicely? ... off advice.

First of all, the weight gain is GREAT. Congratulations!

Second, you CANNOT overfeed a breastfed baby. Breastfed babies tend to plump up and climb up in the charts in the beginning, and then they taper off later in their first year. This is normal.

But, I bet you do have oversupply and OALD, based on the other symptoms you describe.

Pumping before nursing is likely to make oversupply WORSE, not better. Your body will compensate by making even more milk!

Check out this link.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

This might sound like a dumb question, but... is your husband very tall? Was he tall as a baby? Perhaps this is a normal variation, and that's just how your baby is?
    As for waking up every 2 to 3 hours a night at 6 weeks, it sounds perfectly normal to me. I think most babies do this.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    As for waking up every 2 to 3 hours a night at 6 weeks, it sounds perfectly normal to me. I think most babies do this.
    Missed this in your original post, but . Totally normal. You're lucky to get three hours at a stretch ever at that age. It's tiring but it's not a problem with your baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My daughter was in the 95% for a long time, moved up from below 5%. This is something to congratulate! You have a healthy baby who is nursing well. Keep feeding on demand, once babe starts crawling it'll even out. Nursing all day long, even more than every 2 hours, is the norm for a breastfed baby and will not cause harm. I wouldn't expect anything else. It really sounds like you need a new doctor. And keep in mind that by giving bottles you are risking supply issues, nipple confusion, and baby with upset tummy and/or constipation. Being a mum is exhausting but finding healthy baby friendly ways to deal with exhaustion will help in the long run. You might enjoy attending an LLL meeting to see just how normal this all is. Keep up the good work mama
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Both of my girls were in the 95th percentile for weight. They were also very tall. And you know what? It's nothing to worry about. They were just healthy eaters. A breast fed baby grows quickly in the beginning and then it slows as they become mobile. Try looking at the WHO growth charts rather than the formula fed charts. Bring them to your doctor so that he measures your son on that chart. http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

Please stop pumping before your feed. Since you produce on a demand basis, you are telling your body to produce milk for both the pump AND the baby. You're probably also giving your baby more hind milk, without any foremilk (you're pumping your foremilk off). We produce both for a reason. Babes need both.

You have a healthy baby. Please don't worry.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Okay, I think your doctor is giving you some ... how do I put this nicely? ... off advice.

First of all, the weight gain is GREAT. Congratulations!

Second, you CANNOT overfeed a breastfed baby. Breastfed babies tend to plump up and climb up in the charts in the beginning, and then they taper off later in their first year. This is normal.

But, I bet you do have oversupply and OALD, based on the other symptoms you describe.

Pumping before nursing is likely to make oversupply WORSE, not better. Your body will compensate by making even more milk!

Check out this link.
    Although I don't know why JoMo is trying to be nice... I think your doc's advice is simply idiotic on all fronts. Fast growth in the newborn stage is very normal, and there is nothing wrong with being in the 95th percentile. My girls both were in the 95-99th zone, and by 6 months or so had fallen down to the 75-80th without me doing anything about it. And you absolutely do not want to stop feeding on demand, or start pumping before feedings, which is just going to make things worse!

You might want to try nursing in reclined positions if your speedy letdowns are bothering the baby. Gravity can slow the flow down a lot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congrats on a healthy baby! You've gotten some great advice from pp, I just thougt I'd share my experience. My DS was 9# 6 oz at birth and gained weight very quickly as well. I'd give specifics but I can't remember them off hand and his baby book is in his room where he is sleeping at the moment Anyway at 6 months he was 23# and change and didn't gain another ounce until close to a year. Totally normal and totally healthy! Hope that helps put your mind at ease, keep up the good work Momma!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14

Your DS sounds A LOT like my DS2. I had OALD, he gained weight very rapidly, wanted to eat a lot, not a great sleeper, gassy, uncomfortable. The OALD can cause reflux symptoms and this makes the baby want to eat a lot, since milk kind of acts like an antacid. Reflux meds also helped a lot. At almost 2 years he still isn't a great sleeper, and still nurses frequently, but isn't in as much pain as he used to be.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Sounds like my babies All except my cleft baby have exceeded the 95th at birth and just went from there.

I also have an OALD and OS. Blockfeed.

And your baby will be just fine My boys are all long and lean now.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!