Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby drank stinky milk

Default Baby drank stinky milk

Hi,
    My husband just called me to tell me my little girl's bottle smelled funny (smelled like spit up milk he said). It was milk I pumped last Thursday (4 days ago) and it has been in the fridge ever since. She drank about 2 oz. before he noticed. He pulled another bottle out of the fridge and he said it smelled a lot better. Will she be okay after having drank 2 oz. of smelly milk?

Default Re: Baby drank stinky milk

She'll be fine. Some mamas have a lipase issue, which makes the milk taste and smell off. But sometimes, after standing in the fridge for a few days, the milk can smell off but still taste OK. If baby will take it, it's fine.

You can read more on lipase in the lipase thread at the top of this forum.

It could have also been a flukey thing. Sometimes something you ate can make the milk smell funky.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yep, I wouldn't worry. We've all been there. With all the antibodies and probiotics in breastmilk, I don't think many of the bugs that make you sick can survive in breastmilk. And like Susan said, sometimes it smells funky when it's actually not funky in the sense of spoiled. Most babies won't drink truly "spoiled" breastmilk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks ladies My mother in law has been feeding Molly her bottles ever since she was 6 weeks old when I went back to work and has never mentioned anything about smelly milk. I guess I will assume it was a fluke--maybe something I ate--and move on. I'm hoping my husband didn't dump it out so I can smell it when I get home.
    Thanks again!!

You can try to check it by taking a bit and letting it stand in the fridge and smelling and tasting it every day, or every 12 hours, or something, and see if you can make it happen again.

I have also noticed that if I stand bottles in the door of the fridge, it smells super gross pretty quickly, so maybe it was a storage variance between your MIL and your DH
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!