Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal? Am I lazy?

Default Is this normal? Am I lazy?

I have been pumping since my son was 3 months old because I had to return to work. I only work 3 days a week. M W F. from 8-5. He is now 10 m0nths

I used to beable to leave 12-15 oz of milk with ds while I was gone.
    Now though I am unalbe to do that. Though he did start only taking 2..5oz bottles aday. and For some reason I can manage to pump it if i really work at it. But it seems like I work harder for these 10 oz or more than I did for the 15/12??

I have noticed in the past several weeks that While I am at work I have dropped from a total of 6-8 oz " I was put on reglan for a few weeks and I could get up to 7-8 oz a day at work. But When I weaned off of it and before it I got about 6 oz down to like 4-5 oz?

I take 3 Breaks about 15 mins a peice and then I try and hand express afterwards.
    I would pump at night before also, I still do some But not like I used to. I cant seem to be waken up by the alarm clock if I pump at say 11 and I want to wake up at 1am?? So some nights I really dont pump. Though DS does still wake a few times maybe 3?? to nurse, though he doesnt fully wake up. and I have gotten so that I side nurse him also. so Im not really waking up either, so the alarm doesnt get set to pump in an hour.

I just seem to tired to wake up? and I dont know what to do? I have only managed to get 2.5 oz from my first two pumping sessions today and I want to get so that I can have enough with out him having formula.

I cannot add another session in when I am at work. I wish I could.
    I would also like to know if anyone has a schedual that might have helped them??? I do good with written out scheduals.
    Maybe I am doing somting wrong? I know alot of people pump wean at 12 months.

How does baby handle this? he has himself gone down to 10 0z while I am away from 8-5. He doesnt really have anything else like water either?? but he does eat gerber crunchies and some crackers. Thank YOu

Also I rent a Lactina plus which is hospital grade and have been doing that for about 4 months now possibly longer?
    Can weight gain affect .
    Last edited by @llli*SamuelsMom; September 12th, 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added info
    First time Momma to Samuel ~*10/29/10*~

Currently we and are about to start as well as

If I'm on here Im probably , shhhh Don't tell the boss man.

Default Re: Is this normal? Am I lazy?

It's pretty normal to feel (1) exhausted and (2) completely over pumping at the 10 month point. It's also really normal to see a supply drop around that time, as your body gets used to the pump and doesn't respond as well. Pumps and pump parts are also getting worn and old by this time.

Just a few ideas:

Pumps are a COMMON cause of supply decrease around this time. Have you tried replacing your pump tubes, flanges, and valve parts? These parts do have a limited lifespan, and when they wear out, the pump suction suffers. Also, make sure everything is connected firmly. If you need, call and troubleshoot your pump with the manufacturer.

Are you doing compressions while you pump? By eight or nine months, I couldn't let down for the pump without massaging and squeezing my breasts. Compressions also helped me pump MORE, faster. Seriously, I couldn't have pumped through a year without them.

You're not lazy! Oh my gosh, who wants to jump out of bed and pump in the morning? Could you perhaps sub that morning pump with a pump in the car on the way to work? (There you won't be able to do compressions, but mornings are always a good time for milk supply so you may not need to.)

Do you nurse at night? Your baby may be getting more than you realize and not need as much during the day, especially if he eats solids.

Are you eating well and drinking plenty of fluids? This can really make a difference. You can also try eating more oatmeal or taking fenugreek for supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It's pretty normal to feel (1) exhausted and (2) completely over pumping at the 10 month point. It's also really normal to see a supply drop around that time, as your body gets used to the pump and doesn't respond as well. Pumps and pump parts are also getting worn and old by this time.

Just a few ideas:

Pumps are a COMMON cause of supply decrease around this time. Have you tried replacing your pump tubes, flanges, and valve parts? These parts do have a limited lifespan, and when they wear out, the pump suction suffers. Also, make sure everything is connected firmly. If you need, call and troubleshoot your pump with the manufacturer.

Are you doing compressions while you pump? By eight or nine months, I couldn't let down for the pump without massaging and squeezing my breasts. Compressions also helped me pump MORE, faster. Seriously, I couldn't have pumped through a year without them.

You're not lazy! Oh my gosh, who wants to jump out of bed and pump in the morning? Could you perhaps sub that morning pump with a pump in the car on the way to work? (There you won't be able to do compressions, but mornings are always a good time for milk supply so you may not need to.)

Do you nurse at night? Your baby may be getting more than you realize and not need as much during the day, especially if he eats solids.

Are you eating well and drinking plenty of fluids? This can really make a difference. You can also try eating more oatmeal or taking fenugreek for supply.

to all of it. You aren't lazy. just hitting the end of the first year pumping blues. IME, it always gets harder to pump more milk after 7-8-9 months, and this is why most moms pump wean at 12 months but continue to nurse for years even. You do work harder for less milk. Fortunately, baby has peaked with his milk consumption, so it's not cause for panic.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you ladies. SHEW I was about to cry today. I have one more session here at 4. I actually have my pump set up right next to my side of the bed, so all i have to do is make sure I am either wearing the old sportsbra converted pump holder or have it handy. Dh always puts a fresh frozen bag in the bottle cooler that hangs on the bed post 'the things that keep a bottle for up to 8 hours' and A bottle with a lid. So I get up and pump and go back to sleep or what ever. So i feel blessed that I dont have to actually get up.

JOMO I work not even 10 mins from work. I dont leave home untill about 10 or 15 mins before I have to be at work, so I let ds nurse uptill I litterally am grabbing my supplies and running out the door. And I nurse him as soon as i get home unless he is sleeping or preoccupied and I go set the pump up and go from there.

I try and drink at least 8 bottles of water a day. the 500 ml bottles or more. I have been trying to eat healthier lately because I want to lose weight, I gained alot back because of depression and nerves. "my own fault i shouldnt crave sweets and carbs when upset" But I lost weight right after I had Sammie, and even some of the non baby weight. I can do so again. THANKS

Susan Thanks. I think your awesome for beable able to provide for your son with that pump. LOL SOrry but I never figured I would hate the pump so much. Or really dislike it. Up untill recently I was like oh this isnt bad. Its cool. Now life has moved on.

In the beginning people let me slide with certain things so that I could pump or so that I could have some down time with baby to nurse.
    HA NOW its like ok pop that thing out and get it over with so we can get a move on lady.

It has been almost a year since my mom has passed and almost a year since my son has been born. So i guess Its getting harder for me to also make the time to pump??

Also Thanks for the pump advice. I will switch out my white membranes tonight and see if that helps? I just replaced the yellow things not even two months ago. Would the tubes actually have to be replaced? I dont have the money to spend on that right now? it was like 50 dollars for the kit when I first purchased it? Where could I buy the tubing for less?? Like a maintanece Kit??? Thanks Ladies.

ALSO THE PUMP IS RENTAL HOSPITAL GRADE LACITNA PLUS by Madela
    First time Momma to Samuel ~*10/29/10*~

Currently we and are about to start as well as

If I'm on here Im probably , shhhh Don't tell the boss man.

Start with the membranes - they really wear out pretty fast, and often cause problems.

It sounds like you're doing pretty well, really. You have a lot going on and you're totally hitting the end-of-year pumping blues. It's so common. Just read the pumping forums, and you'll see practically EVERY pumping mom hits this point. You've done great in that your baby is ten months old - I was totally in your shoes at like 8 or 9 months. Just over it. I actually started pump weaning Joe at 11 months, because I had enough milk stashed at that point to see me through that last bit, and I went down to one pumping a day for the last three weeks or so. Finally completely pumped weaned a bit after 12 months, but I was DONE. It was such a relief. I'm still NURSING Joe today, but I never ever pump anymore.

You can do this! Even if you're burning out a little on the pump, just think, seriously, two months is nothing. You can survive two months of anything.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

For a hospital grade pump, just change out the little white membranes first. Then change the valve (the yellow bit inside the bottles, that you put on the bottom of the connectors). Then change the pump's membranes. Then change the tubes. Usually, just changing the membranes and the valves is enough. I try to change mine about every 1-2 months, actually and have only had to replace the pump membranes once (the originals got a hole when one of the kids knocked the pump over) and the tubes once (when they got moldy -- and totally a big problem with Medela pumps).

Whether or not you drink enough water has nothing to do with production.

Most moms don't realize how much they hate pumping until they get to this point. And IMHO, moms who say they don't mind it are not entirely truthful.

Try to nurse more and pump less when you are around LO. That's better for your supply than any pump.

if I have 10 minutes, that is time enough to pump. That might work in another oz for you a day. Over time, it adds up.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!