Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: witts end!!!!!

Default witts end!!!!!

i have had several issues in our five months of bf and i am very proud that we have made it through and are still nursing but now i am afraid i am going to throw in the towel soon. i have talked with my lc and my midwife and they both say that women with pcos sometimes just are not able to nurse because of our hormone issues and i am soooo sad i just want to cry. i am taking fenugreek for my current low supply and it does work but not through my af which is turning into like a two to three week supply issue each month. i also am scheduled for a hida scan for my gallbladder which i have been avoiding but finally after i had an attack that put me in the hospital my doc said it is time and does not want me to put it off any longer. if i have to go 3 days without bf and i am already having a low supply what chance do i really have! i am going to rent a hospital grade pump for those 3 days so i have a better chance of empty breasts. my husband got a formula to try and little man is ok on the soy but i really just hate all of this!!!!

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

Default Re: witts end!!!!!

What about trying domperidone? Several of the PCOS moms here have had good results with it.

But...PCOS does ruin quite a few nursing relationships because it can certainly cause low supply.

If you end up EPing for a few days, pump every 2-3 hours around the clock in the hospital for a total of 120 minutes every 24 hours. Does that make sense?

Make sure you have the right sized horns, and do compressions too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

this might sound dumb but is there a right way to do compressions? my lc told me to do them while nursing and i didnt think to ask how but i am just kinda messaging my breast is that right? my midwife and my last appointment did say she would give me domperidone and i go back in a few weeks to have a pap so i will be asking for it then if not b4. at my last appointment the fenugreek was working well enough but it has not worked as well as it has the first time. also i was told to only take it for 3 days but it sounds like some mamas on here take it longer than that any ideas why i was told 3 days? the bottles does not say to stop so im not sure why the lc said that

Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)

Have you had a ultrasound of your gall bladder? I'm just wondering because I had gall bladder issues and wound up in the ER after a really bad attack. They did an ultrasound, saw stones and inflamation and removed it. The only time I had to 'pump and dump' was the first time pumping after surgery. Is there any chance they could start with an ultrasound?

yeah i have had a few ultrasounds and i am having another on saturday just to be sure cause that would be soooo much easier but im pretty sure my gb is just not functioning properly. over the past decade i have had the same family doc who has had me do 3 ultrasounds but never found stones and then just told me not to eat fatty foods. my new doc about died when he read my chart and saw that 3 times in the last ten years i had pancreatitis sooo bad i had to be hospitalized but was never given a hida scan. not until after this baby where i am literally having an attack every other week did i even go to my new doc because i figured i was just gonna end up paying for another ultrasound and still have no answers. i am happy i get a new test just kinda wish i still had the oversupply i used to have at the beginning of my breastfeeding experience lol

No, no wrong way to do compressions. I massage around until I find a full duct and leave pressure on it until the milk stops coming out, then repeat.

I don't know why they told you to stop taking fenugreek...I take it all the time, or any time I find I need a little boost!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Are you sure it is a supply issue? I apologize because I'm not questioning your smarts it is just that sometimes other issues mimic supply isues.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

i called my midwife to ask about a prescription to aid my supply and she was also not sure why my lc told me to stop the fenugreek after 3 days. i am on day 5 of taking it and i really can tell a big difference. little man has great diapers while i do the fenugreek three times a day. i have never tried doing the fenugreek through an entire cycle so maybe this month i will have better luck! i didnt have any stones in my ultrasound today so when i get the official results from my doctor this week we will be scheduling the hida. soooo nervous about this test! My little man will take a bottle but he doesn't ever eat more than 1 or 1 1/2 oz so i think this will be a hard 72 hrs on us all! i think im gonna beg my dh's twin sister to come stay with us!

Just tell them you are taking the fenugreek and keep on trucking with it unless you need to stop it for the surgery.

Will he take a sippy cup? If so, try him with BM in that. Some babies just don't like bottles.
    Susan