Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: told to eliminate dairy

Default told to eliminate dairy

I had my son in for a cold and the doctor commented on the red rash covering his chest and back. I brought him in a few weeks ago and was told baby acne (that was on his face) and thought it needed to run its course. This doctor told me to eliminate dairy...milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream - non-dairy creamer for my coffee was fine. I saw a huge difference the first 24 hours. Everything is still clearing up, but he still seems to have diarrhea. This morning we had a big dark green diarrhea. The color is back to yellow, but no seeds. Anyone else faced with this?

Default Re: told to eliminate dairy

My son had several allergies, your doc gave you good advice. I'm glad the dairy elimination has cleared him up. As for the changes in poop, it could just be he is still getting the dairy out of his system (and yours) it can sometimes take a few weeks for symptoms to clear up completely. I would continue to avoid all forms of dairy. If the stomach issues continue you might consider whether you replaced dairy in your diet with something else that is bothering him- for example it is pretty common for kids with dairy issues to also have problems with soy so lots of moms switch to soy milk and find their child reacts to it as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have eliminated even hidden dairy from my diet and my lo and I have never been healthier. Could it be that the poop is not related to the diet change? (It usually take 10-14 days for all of the dairy to leave your system)
    Has anyone mentioned an allergist to you yet? You may want to check into one. They can give you more info.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Thank you for your responses. I am realizing I still have been eating dairy, just not the blatent stuff...like my coffeemate. Any tips on totally eliminating it would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is to just be super diligent about checking ingredients. On EVERYTHING. Dairy shows up in the strangest places. And be careful eating out, look up allergy info on restaurants before you go, you can't really trust the employees to know. Vegan items are usually pretty trustable, as are Kosher items that are marked Parve or have a circled U on the label.

If you can view a pdf here is a good info list you can bring with you to the grocery store or wherever. Here's a site with a list of different names for dairy that you can keep an eye out for.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous