Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So many tears...

Default Re: So many tears...

Thx, I just messaged her.

I just talked to my IBCLC and she suggests seeing a speech language pathologist first. She has one she recommends who is experienced with BF issues.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Wow. Some moms have minor struggles and some go through far too much. You are in the second category and it just doesn't seem fair at all

So my high palate baby also had a very strong suck and I had over supply so we got on fine in terms of weight gain etc. The issue we had was intense and unusual pain for far too long until DD's mouth grew.

I am a little worried that your pedi and LC are not looking at the tree issues you have going on in concert. Just looking at one at a time. Small tongue tie - ok you can nurse around it. High palate - will be outgrown. Flat/Inverted nipples - dealable with. But the combination is terrible. You have a baby who is basically trying to get the wrong parts of your boob in her mouth.

I definitely think it is worth talking to an ENT about having the tongue tie clipped. And working on suck traininggreat pdf from University Hospital Ohio here

How to Suck Train Your Baby; Long-Term

For establishing a good latch and suck.

• Wash your hands and make sure that your nails are trimmed and smooth - baby probably wouldn't appreciate a jagged nail against the roof of their mouth!
    • Using any of your fingers, tickle baby's top lip until baby opens his or her mouth.
    • Once baby's mouth is open wide, insert your finger into their mouth so that your finger nail is facing towards their tongue and the tip of your finger is brushing against the roof of baby's mouth.
    • Baby's response should be to close their mouth and begin suckling on the finger. If baby has no response to the finger inside of their mouth, gently stroke the roof of their mouth until they begin sucking.
    • Push against the tip of their tongue and their lower lip to encourage a large area of suckling (mimicking the amount of areola that you want them to take in).
    • Check to make sure that their upper and lower lips are flanged [so that he or she is not sucking on their lips and the lips are outwards/protruding outside of the suck].

Suck Training Immediately Prior to Feeding

This is for encouraging baby to latch onto breast / to be done moments prior to latching on.

• Wash your hands as always.
    • Tickle baby's mouth until he or she opens wide.
    • Insert your finger, tip at the roof of the mouth and nail facing the tongue.
    • Push your finger down on the back of the tongue, and draw the finger forward. Do this three or more times, and
    • Quickly! Put the baby to your breast.
    I think you really need to congratulate yourself that your baby is getting all breastmilk and is nursing. Those are both huge things. Also know that the high palate issues will go away as baby gets bigger and using a bottle does not always lead to nipple confusion. My son had bottles from 3 weeks old onwards and did not quit nursing until about a month after my milk dried up (I was pregnant).

You are doing amazingly and will continue to I am sure. Your determination and hard work should be an inspiration to others.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Something else to consider if you haven't already is to rent a scale and see how much your baby is getting each feeding. It might be more than you think. They will always take a bottle no matter if they are full or not and some babies take much longer to nurse than others. At 6 weeks it was at least 45mins to an our per nursing session even for my little one who was sucking efficiently enough to transfer just fine. She just also had a really high suck need (we let her suck on a finger if she would tolerate it at that point because it still hurt).

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    I definitely think it is worth talking to an ENT about having the tongue tie clipped. And working on suck traininggreat pdf from University Hospital Ohio here

This info is awesome - thank you so much! I will definitely try the suck training with her. She's my only, and we have all day, so I have all the time in the world to practice with her. What you're saying about evaluating all the issues together makes a lot of sense, too. I'm hoping the SLP will have some insight on this.

Also, I think you're right about how much she may be transferring. When the IBCLC was here 3 weeks ago, she transferred an ounce in half an hour. But I think she's gotten a little better. And she is taking less from a bottle and I'm trying to be mindful not to use the bottle or milk to soothe her when she really needs something else.

And thank you for the compliment and support. You all on this forum are a huge inspiration!
    Lisa

for 20 months!

Just reading through and wanted to say that I think you're doing a fantastic job!! Way to stick with it and keeping try! Mamas milk is best and you're making sure that's what your LO gets. Great job mama!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

My son had a minor tongue tie and 3 doctors in the hospital said I probably didn't have to worry about it. I did anyway based on the advice of the llladies here and my aunt, who is a speech therapist. My aunt said that although perhaps minor at birth, they almost always show themselves with eating issues later and speech problems in school. And at that point it's harder to correct. I believe my son would have never latched without doing it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My son had a weak suck. I took him to an ENT for possible tongue tie and it was not tied. He is finally alot stronger at 7 weeks. Thanks goodness! I bf my first for so long I was very dissappointed in the difficutly I had with my son. Hang in there it can get better!!!
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Thumbs up Re: So many tears...

Wow. You are an awesome, determined mom.
    You have gotten fabulous advice from previous posters. Everything I was going to say, they covered lol!

Hang in there, pat yourself on the back and look at how much you are doing right!!
    Keep us posted!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

UPDATE:

Well ladies, I saw a Speech Language Pathologist and also an ENT, and DD had a her frenelum clipped. We are doing suck training and lip strengthening exercises recommended by the SLP. And 5 days later, we are doing so much better!! She is getting almost all of her feedings from me! A couple times we have supplemented with a bottle because the long feeding sessions were wearing her out (lots of lip quivering, etc.). Of course, now I am watching her diapers like a hawk and everything looks great!

She is 8 weeks today and I never, ever thought we would be here!! Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement - it has really gotten me through these rough weeks!
    Lisa

for 20 months!

I am so happy for you. You are strong and determined and your baby is getting the best you can give her.

Family beds are awesome