Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So many tears...

Default Re: So many tears...

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Great news!! I'm glad you persevered.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Great job!!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Way to go mama! I am just getting caught up on your story, but you have worked so hard! Way to hang in there and keep it up!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

YEAH! DD1 was tongue tied and I was told the same as you, I never could get her to breast feed, because no one wanted to fix it! With new DS he's the worst one tongue tied so far that I have had. This time though I looked for a ped before having DS that would tongue clip. I have had very little problems since the ped clipped his tongue. I learned after DD1 all about that!

I also agree it's harder when they don't fix it at birth. I was also born tongue tied, and I ended up having to have it clipped at 8 years old cause they wouldn't do it to babies when I was little either. And I had major speech problems, it was much harder to fix at 8 then when I was a baby. My dad had his fixed as a baby and never had problems, me I was in speech etc for years and still have a impediment.

Any way, all that being said, also I use a shield. After DD1 (I was stubborn and waited to long to try to use one with her!) I started going to the hospital with a nipple shield in my suit case! With DD2 I was able to wean her off the shield after a few months. But, this way I was able to nurse then right away with out any problems even through their tongue ties and other problems.

I am glad things are going well now. But, just thought I would throw that out there, that tongue tie is genetic, so next children you may want to do like me, keep a shield packed in your bag, and may want to look for a ped that is willing to clip tongues. That way you don't have to jump through hoops to get it done.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    I am glad things are going well now. But, just thought I would throw that out there, that tongue tie is genetic, so next children you may want to do like me, keep a shield packed in your bag, and may want to look for a ped that is willing to clip tongues. That way you don't have to jump through hoops to get it done.
    You're right, and I definitely will. My husband had tongue tie that was never fixed and he had/has a slight lisp (but don't mention it! ) He also had a ton of texture related food aversions as a child. Wonder if it is related...
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!