Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: birth conrol safe while breastfeeding?

Default birth conrol safe while breastfeeding?

My old doctor had me on the mini pill after i had my daughter. Now its been over a year and i had to get another exam but had to change doctors and she wont let me go back on the mini pill. She says its not effective and wants me to get either the depo shot or a regular pill but im nervous about those. Does anyone get either of those birth control methods? And if so how do they affect you and your milk supply?

Default Re: birth conrol safe while breastfeedin

She won't LET you??? That would be my last visit with that doctor. It's not as effective, for sure, but it's your body, and your choice about how much hormone tampering you want to do.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thank u for ur comment i feel the same way and my daughter since she was born has had very large breasts and that has to do with hormones and also i had a seperation of my pubic bone and was on cruches for three months! The doc said that was from hormones too so im very worried about any added hormones in me and my babies body and i told this new ob/gyn that and shhe said that i was reading too much into it!

RUN from any doctor who won't LET you do what you feel is best for YOU.

IMHO, RUN from a Depo injection too. I had severe depression after getting just one of those. You might be OK since you have already been OK with the mini-pill.

Any hormonal birth control pill with estrogen can diminish your milk supply. Some progestin-only pills can do the same thing for some mothers.

Barrier methods are always safe.

Effectiveness...well, all methods can fail
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    She won't LET you??? That would be my last visit with that doctor. It's not as effective, for sure, but it's your body, and your choice about how much hormone tampering you want to do.
    Amen! A doctor can feel free to say "I do not think the mini pill is a good idea for you, and I feel that it would be unethical of me to prescribe it for you, let's talk about other methods" but if she said "I won't let you" then she is way out of line. Being your doctor does not make this lady your boss! Quite the opposite: you are paying her, and that makes YOU the boss.

I personally would not use the Depo shot while nursing. As aprilsmagic said, any hormonal birth control can negatively impact your supply. And that's especially bad with Depo, because if you do have a negative side effect, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it aside from waiting for it to wear off. And that is months of waiting!

Alternative birth control methods to consider:
    - Barrier methods: condoms, diaphragm, sponge, cervical cap
    - Implantable methods: ParaGard (non-hormonal IUD), Mirena (hormonal IUD)
    - complete list from Planned Parenthood: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...ntrol-4211.htm
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My doctor highly discouraged me from getting a shot form of birth control before I ever even got pregnant because he said you won't know how your body would handle those hormones and you are stuck with them in your system for 6 ? months. I am so glad he said that because 4 weeks after being on hormonal birth control I was extremely depressed and then learned about Natural Family Planning and began charting. This is what I am using now and obviously, being non-hormonal, has no bearings on my milk supply.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Hi krystine, thanks for sharing that with me im not that familiar with natural family planning what is it exactly?

Natural Family Planning and Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) involves determining when you are fertile by observing cervical fluid and temperature and charting all that info and abstaining during fertile time (or in FAM, you can use a barrier but then your chance of pregnancy is as high as the failure rate for that barrier). Once you understand it, it only takes 1-2 minutes/day and is also free

I highly highly recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility, as many other women on here would. It is pretty much the sourcebook for understanding fertility and avoiding and trying to get pregnant. I also own The Art of Natural Family Planning which details NFP but really you could get most of that from the Taking Charge of your fertility book.

It does require good communication between you and your husband but we really like it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thank u all for your comments! I am so glad i joined i don't know anyone else that is breastfeeding where i live and this is a wonderful support system i wish i new about it months ago.

Oh ok thank u i will look into that. How long have you been using that method?