Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need help?!

Default I need help?!

My daughter is 3 1/2 months old and was born 6 weeks early. I have been Eping due to latch issues and her being in the hospital for a month. We also found out she had tongue tie at 3 months old. I tried to get her to latch but most of the time she refuses, if i do get her to she seems to do well but refuses the next time I hate pumping but will continue to until i cant. Right now im only getting about 24 oz a day which is enough to feed her but wont be for long. How do i not only get my supply up but is it to late to get her to the breast and stay there. Im so frustrated and dont know how long i can keep this up :/ and suggestions or experiences would help. Thank you!

Default Re: I need help?!

I've been EPing for a cleft baby for almost 8 months. It's far, far from easy, but it's do-able. There's moms here who pumped for months and months.

Definitely keep trying with the nursing. There are moms here who kept at it, and baby suddenly nursed! So it might happen. You could consider an SNS (I prefer the Lact-Aid SNS) and/or a nipple shield and see if that helps.

To get your supply up:
    check your membranes and valves
    use a hospital grade pump -- seriously, this works. It seems so silly, but the suction is about twice that of a professional grade pump.
    pump every 2-3 hours around the clock while you build your supply
    make sure you pump at least once between midnight and 5AM
    Pump for a total of 120 minutes every 24 hours
    make sure you have the right sized horns
    try some herbs and/or oatmeal
    use breast compressions while pumping

But keep in mind that most babies, even expressed BM fed ones, only need about 1 to 1.5 oz of milk per hour. Unlike formula fed babies, they should never need to take 6-8 oz at a feeding. My 8 month baby only takes 4 oz most feedings. Once in a great while he'll take 5, but that's not terribly often.

There are some links about getting baby to the breast around here. I don't have them handy, and it's about time for me to go pump again myself (I hate pumping)

Bear in mind that many, if not all, EPing moms hit a wall around 3 months where they think they can't keep up. It happens again around 6 months and again around 9 months.

But please keep trying to nurse that baby!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you! I tried and SNS (medela) but she wont even try most of the time. As far as a nipple shield she hates it and every time she latched it was without one. I have a hospital pump and it def works better than my freestyle, i had to buy one that i could tote around with me :/ Its supper hard but i know its whats best i guess im still holding out hope she can breast feed but i think at this point she likes the bottle flow

I use a hospital pump at home, which I rented, and use a Freestyle when I'm out running around because it does fit in the bag better than a PISA or other professional grade pump. But try to make sure you do most of your sesssions with a hospital grade pump, and particularly your nighttime sessions.

You are also battling nipple confusion. There are some really good tips at Kellymom on how to overcome that. It can be done. I'd do it myself -- and do anything possible -- to get baby to nurse. EPing is far from normal and is not very good in comparison to what BFing will do for you and for baby. Yeah, she gets your milk, but the bond..it's so different. I don't have those tips handy. But go look over there. I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.

Have you worked with an IBCLC?

If she doesn't like a nipple shield, then don't use one.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!