Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated

Default Frustrated

I have a 1 month old and I am a first time mom. I had trouble with Milk supply in the begining due to baby wasn't gaining enough weight. But now she will feed about 10 mins on each breast, and still act hungry after she lets go. So we will offer 2oz of formula and she will seem happy then. But I am just wondering is she really hungry. Also I have never felt my breast feel heavy, or engorgment. Wondering if there is something wrong with me.. So Stressful I don't want to give up on breast feeding. Any insight would help.

Thanks..

Default Re: Frustrated

Instead of offering formula, try switching sides, back and forth, back and forth. That gets baby more hind milk, gets baby to fill up and stimulates your supply.

Bear in mind that just about all babies will take milk from a bottle after feeding, and it doesn't mean they need it. They kind of have to drink from a bottle; it's swallow or drown.

Some moms never feel engorged. That can be because baby is taking it all

If your baby is having adequate wets and poops without supplementing, then all is well. You can try checking baby's weight before and after a feeding and measuring how much baby takes in that way.

Hope you stick around
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Welcome! Check out this link for a method of weaning from formula supplements: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You've gotten some great advice so all I wanted to add was sympathy. It is so hard for us to trust our bodies. We expect there to be some easy checklist to follow and there isn't. You can do this. Just trust yourself.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn