Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning off supplement

Default weaning off supplement

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, so please forgive me if it's not.

Backstory: I've had to supplement all 3 of my blessings with formula. I've tried everything from fenugreek to domperidone, to my placenta to increase my supply enough, and they just don't gain weight without supplementing. I was devastated at first, but it is what it is and I'm at peace with it.

Baby #3 is now 6 months old. He currently gets 4 4 oz bottles a day. He loves food, and as he eats more, I'd love to start weaning him off the bottles, and continue to nurse him as often as I am now (about every 2-3 hours.) Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions as to what type of foods would be best? I was thinking full-fat yogurt and avocados? Thank you so much for your help!

Default Re: weaning off supplement

Welcome! It's awesome that you've nursed all 3 kids despite what sounds like significant challenges.

I think at just 6 months, I would concentrate on the solids you mentioned, always nurse before offering solids, and slowly, slowly decrease the amount of formula your LO is getting. I don't think you want to drop the formula all at once, or even quickly, because the transition from being a breastfed or formula-fed baby to being a baby who eats a balanced diet of solids can be such a slow and uneven one. I think that if you drop the supplemental formula by a year, you'd be right on target... But maybe it is possible to drop it sooner.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! It has been challenging. The biggest reason I want to do this, is because I'd love to nurse long-term. My first chose the bottle over the boob at 10 months. I'm doing things differently this time, like only using slow-flow nipples (even though it takes him for.ev.er. to finish) and he's a much better nurser than his brother was....so hopefully we'll make it past the year mark this time! I'm also thinking of trying to put the formula in a sippy cup and see how he does with that?

I have a couple of strange questions (as a long term nurser and supplementer with DS).

How do you nurse/supplement? Do you SAH or WOH?
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I'm a sahm. I always nurse both sides first, then offer a bottle. We were using breastflow bottles, but I put coconut oil them and it was destroying the inner nipple. So now we're using playtex nursers.

I do have an SNS and have used it in the past. He never liked it. I could only do 2 ounces at a time because he would never stay latched. It was a constant on and off. I even switched to the slower tube and the same thing. Now, every time I try to use it, he gets mad. He won't even stay latched.

We only do bottles during the day. He nurses 1-3x at night.

OK I asked because SAHMs have a little more flexibility in somethings and WOHMs are usually pumping a couple of sessions so things are done a little differently.

I can only tell you what we did with DS. And he nursed a couple of months past when the milk ran out (I was pg) and would have definitely been a long term nurser. I always did nurse bottle nurse (he got a bottle at each day time nursing session). This allowed him to associate the breast with food (the first nurse) and comfort/satiety (the second nurse) while still getting the calories in him. He always got his formula cold too (no idea if it made a difference but I wanted to differentiate it and also make sure that warm milk was always associated with mama and boob). It was exceptionally rare that he was allowed to wander around with a bottle. Bottles were part of the nursing process so they were given snuggled up. I practiced what (I think Dr. Sears calls) bottle nursing.

Gradually dropping an ounce here and there from one bottle at a time as baby starts eating more food should be fine. Watch wet and dirty diapers and don't be afraid to add it back in for short periods.

and not many people know how difficult it is to do what you are doing. for you
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

thank you so much for the tips. It's nice hearing from someone who's btdt. It really is hard, but it's SOOO worth it!