Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have an oversupply?

Default Do I have an oversupply?

My breasts almost always feel full. After nursing my son they will feel empty for about 5 minutes and then by 10 minutes later they feel full again!

Last night he slept from 11:30-5am and at 4:30am I woke up extreamly engorged so I pumped for 8 minutes to relieve my breasts and I didn't empty them, but on one side I got 4oz on the other 3oz!!! 7oz from one pumping?!?! He woke up at 5am and I still had plenty of milk for him.

I also have an overactive letdown...

Is there something I can do that will help me feel less engorged for the nights my son is sleeping through? It is not fun waking up and having to pump because of engorgement!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Default Re: Do I have an oversupply?

The first thing you'll want to do is stop pumping. That is just telling your body to produce more milk and worsening your oversupply and OALD. If you HAVE to relieve pressure from engorgement you can manually express just enough for comfort ... but pumping out 7 oz. is going to send your body into overdrive producing even more milk.

In time, your body will regulate to meet your sons needs and you will stop feeling so full when he is sleeping through the night.

Is your baby having a hard time dealing with the supply and OALD? Here are some suggestions to help adjust your supply to better match your baby's needs (from kellymom.com):

If baby is gaining weight well, then having baby nurse from only one breast per feeding can be helpful.

If baby finishes nursing on the first side and wants to continue nursing, just put baby back onto the first side.

If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    Avoid extra breast stimulation, for example, unnecessary pumping, running the shower on your breasts for a long time or wearing breast shells.
    Between feedings, try applying cool compresses to the breast (on for 30 minutes, off for at least an hour). This can discourage blood flow and milk production.

If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.

Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.

Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.

If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.

Even if these measures do not completely solve the problem, many moms find that their abundant supply and fast let-down will subside, at least to some extent, by about 12 weeks (give or take a bit). At this point, hormonal changes occur that make milk supply more stable and more in line with the amount of milk that baby needs.

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Default Re: Do I have an oversupply?

Thanks a lot for the info!!! Tonight if he sleeps good again I will just manually express till I am comfortable!