Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk production cut more than 1/2

Default Milk production cut more than 1/2

I started birthcontrol just this last week and within 6 days of taking it i noticed my milk was slowly just going away. I started to get scared and didn't realize it was the birthcontrol. I analyzed everything i was doing in my diet. What did i change, was i eating something that would cause it to go away. I looked at my daily routine. Did i change something that could make it go away.

When i realized that the only thing i had changed was the birthcontrol then i called my lactation consultant to see what i should do. We have 7 children and we are trying to wait for a couple of years before having another one so that my body can heal. I am too young and scared to get my tubes tied, and we have tried several methods of birth control before that have failed. I have become very angry, and yelled a lot over small minor things. I literately was dr jekyll and mr hyde. I almost lost my marriage because of it.

We finally found a pill that didn't affect my mood, but now it has completely whipped my milk supply. So we have had to switch pills. Our problem with this is, well this is how we have our now baby. The doc switched pills so much to try and find one that would work that i got pregnant. We didn't use condoms, so i guess that is our fault. We aren't mad about it and accept that it was our fault, but are now scared that we may have the same accident.

I have a small latex allergy which is why we don't use condoms. We are looking into maybe using foam, and a few other things. I am so scared to start a new pill. I have so many what if's and none of which a doctor can give me answers. It is pretty much trial and error. But i want more kids and don't really want it to affect my ability to have more babies, my mood, and definitely not my marriage.

Now i didn't take the pill last night and trying to get my milk supply back, which i don't know if it is even possible. I am drinking the mothers milk tea, and eating oatmeal like my consultant told me to. Also drinking a lot of water.

Can a milk supply come back after it has almost went away completely? I'm not pregnant, we took 2 test before the pill. This was to ensure that i could take the pill since i haven't had a period.

I have went from having 4 to 5 oz out of my right side and 3 to 4 oz out of my left to 3 oz total from both sides.

Can it come back after it has went away so much?

Default Re: Milk production cut more than 1/2

Don't panic! You can definitely get your milk supply back, even if you were in the worst case scenario and were totally dry. It's called relactation, and there's actually a whole sub forum here dedicated to it. That being said, it doesn't sound like you are anywhere near that situation: 3 oz is very normal supply, and the 7-9 oz you were getting previously is in the realm of pretty significant oversupply. As long as you stop the pills and nurse on demand, everything should be fine.

So, let's talk birth control! What have you tried, what has worked for you in the past, what doesn't work at all, what are you looking for in your ideal contraceptive?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

condoms don't work, since i have the small allergy. I get dry and they break me out. Very painful. Also the pill has made me mean, to where i have almost been divorced, i have also had a period constantly with the pill, and then also have had twins on the pill. Before kids the pill worked great. But since i have had my oldest daughter it hasn't worked for me at all. But since i have had my newborn the pill the doc put me on hasn't made me moody, and no period. So it has worked great for me and i really like it. I just had a little swelling in my fingers the first couple of days but it went away and i fell in love with the pill. I remember to take pills and always like them. I don't want an iud. We talked the copper iud, which would cause very painful periods and well to be honest my periods are pretty bad without that. I was diagnosed with dysmenorrhea. So it feels like i'm having contractions every time i'm on my period. Both my doctor and i have discussed several options and the pill has been the best one.

My husband and i have discussed the pull and pray method, but we have well ... 7 kids already. Not really to sure if we want to do that. But we are talking about trying some different condoms just to try them out. But with all my bad experiences i just get nervous over small things. Even though they may work, it is just the fear of what has happened before that gets me. So we have talked about the foam, which in the end i joke, hold on hunny i have to go foam... lol which will probably kill the mood. But possibly help us not have another baby right away.

They have switched my pill to just a progesterone only. So i may try it. I know with one day of not taking the pill my supply has come back more. Which makes me very happy. Breastfeeding has made me very happy, cause with my other babies i have had postpartum really bad. But for some reason breastfeeding has made me feel good. I am just scared that she wont get enough if this pill does the same thing. I don't want to have to quit or supplement. So at this point we aren't for sure what we are going to do, but are still looking into all the options. And i'm not ready for my tubes to be tied. I'm only 24 and even though we have 7 kids i'm still want a couple more when my kids get old enough to go to school.

Okay, so it sounds like anything with latex isn't going to work. That still leaves you with some barrier options:
    - polyurethane condoms- more expensive, but just as effective as the latex kind, provided you actually use them
    - diaphragm (they are now made from silicone rather than latex) and spermicide combo- diaphragms are great because you can put them in ahead of time, and therefore skip the mood-killing "Uh, just wait a moment, honey" step, but they are also not the most effective contraception when the woman is a grand multipara (has had multiple children)
    - cervical cap- like a diaphragm but probably not a good choice for a grand mulitp
    - the sponge
    - spermicide (foam, film, cream, whatever)- these are going to work best if combined with another barrier option like a condom or diaphragm

It also sounds like you have had some bad experiences with hormonal birth control. In your shoes, I would at least consider the following:
    - the progestin-only mini-pill- it may have fewer mood side-effects and should be less likely to impact your milk supply than the combination estrogen-progestin pill
    - Mirena- the hormonal IUD. Mirena can impact supply, and that's bad because you can't just stop taking it the way you can stop taking a pill. You have to go and get it removed. But Mirena generally causes lighter or vanished periods, and for a mom who has issues with painful cycles, that could be a plus!

You also have access to the totally natural methods- LAM (lactational amenorrhea method), FAM (fertility awareness methods), pull and pray (wouldn't recommend it unless your husband has excellent self-control).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Pull & pray--Mommal, I've never heard it called that, LOL, but isn't there a little bit of sperm in the pre-ejaculatory fluid?

Also the uterine coil, which has a non-hormonal version which won't interefere with milk. My OB told me that it's made from copper and copper has been found to kill sperm, because I was uncomfortable with using it if an egg could be fertilized and then irritated in some way by the presence of the coil. She clearly refuted that, it cannot hurt a fertilized egg. It is a bit less effective than the Mirena, which uses hormones plus the coil, but the hormones once again can cause a problem with milk supply.

If I had 7 kids to look after and wanted to wait several years before the eighth, I'd use the coil rather than FAM because I'm the type who would get forgetful to do charting with the FAM. I hope I'm making sense
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Pull & pray--Mommal, I've never heard it called that, LOL, but isn't there a little bit of sperm in the pre-ejaculatory fluid?
    Yes, there certainly can be sperm in the pre-ejac. You know the old joke- what do they call people who rely on withdrawal for birth control? Parents! However, there was a recent study that found that for couples with excellent self-control- in other words, the ones where the guy was willing to pull out the moment he felt even close to orgasm- withdrawal actually did provide reliable birth control! But I don't know whether or not to put much stock in that one study, and I personally wouldn't use withdrawal unless I was very open to having another kid.

I have the paragard iud. I love it! it's completely non-hormonal so it doesn't affect supply. I had a little spotting after insertion but otherwise it's been side-effect free...

The doctor has now put me on the mini pill. However i have finally started a period and i have been in a lot of pain. I typically have bad periods anyway but i have high hopes that this is going to work and my milk with hopefully come back. She is eating a lot in the evening but not to much in the morning. She is still sleeping through the night, which concerns me. She is having wet diapers but only a small poopy diaper. I don't want to supplement but i'm starting to get scared. How many wet and poopy diapers should she be producing?