Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS says: no more healthy foods!

Default DS says: no more healthy foods!

Hello llladies!

I need some help. DS is 12 months old. We've been doing BLS since about 5.5 months. Until recently, he absolutely loved veggies and fruit, with very few exceptions.

The problem: Someone, who shall remain nameless (I'll simply say that it was not me) decided to give DS a taste of potato chips, and then candy. Since then, DS has decided that fruits and veggies are not his thing, and refuses even his favorites. Whenever he sees a potato chip bag, he demands that he gets some. He also, rather quickly, figured out where the candy is stored, and has started gesturing at it whenever we walk past.

At this point, despite my best efforts, he will only eat chips, candy, and bread.

What I've done:
    • removed the candy from its usual storage location and hidden it
    • no longer allow DS to see potato chips (whenever possible)
    • offer good solids at every meal

What else do ya'll suggest I do? Fortunately he's still nursing quite a bit, but I really want to get him back to his old eating habits.

TYIA!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: DS says: no more healthy foods!

If it were me I would get rid of all the candy and chips from the house. All of them. Don't eat any in front of LO. (Not eating crud in front of my LOs has helped my weight). I would also be really conscientious about offering new and unusual solids. My kids love curry and stir fry for example. For example dehydrated apples taste just like candy. New bold flavours. Natural "candy" like raisins. And make sure he has a variety of easy to eat textures and flavours in front of him at every meal. And then keep nursing.

Basically a child of that age who had no access to crud and has a variety of options is unlikely to be happy just nursing and will eventually start eating better solid food out of boredom if nothing else.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    If it were me I would get rid of all the candy and chips from the house. All of them. Don't eat any in front of LO. (Not eating crud in front of my LOs has helped my weight). I would also be really conscientious about offering new and unusual solids. My kids love curry and stir fry for example. For example dehydrated apples taste just like candy. New bold flavours. Natural "candy" like raisins. And make sure he has a variety of easy to eat textures and flavours in front of him at every meal. And then keep nursing.

Basically a child of that age who had no access to crud and has a variety of options is unlikely to be happy just nursing and will eventually start eating better solid food out of boredom if nothing else.
    Also, make sure you have a talk with that person if you haven't already.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

At our house, chips and candy are snacks adults enjoy only when both kids are asleep. It's healthiest for all involved.

The other thing I have been known to do is if the child is really wanting something unhealthy like candy or chips, I tell them it doesn't taste good or is too spicy. If they still insist then I offer a taste of a flavor I know they will not like. I managed to turn DS off of chips for almost a year by offering him a teeny tiny taste of a spicy Dorito. I didn't give him enough to cause discomfort, just enough that he gave me a really disgusted face and reached for an apple slice instead . For a while he also thought that all jelly beans tasted like black licorice.

It's actually pretty normal for them to get picky right around this age. It may or may not have much to do with getting chips and candy. Try to look at it as a teaching moment. Yes, there are treats, but we don't get to eat them all the time. That's what makes them treats. I'd just keep doing what you are doing and he'll catch on. If you only offer him good stuff that's what he'll eat.

And don't worry too much if he's picky about fruits and veggies. Try to look at his diet overall, rather than on a meal by meal basis. See if it comes out balanced by the week rather than by the meal. Both of my kiddos jumped off the veggie bandwagon right around that age and they are (slowly) coming back around. Fortunately they both really like fruit so I've leaned on that, but continue to offer veggies even if I know they might not eat them.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Oh and you can also try making green smoothies for him to drink. They taste good and are good for you too.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

with the excellent advice from the PPs! I just want to add that if your LO is nursing plenty, at 12 months his needs for solid food are still probably pretty minimal. So don't fall into the trap of offering junk food because you're afraid he'll starve if you don't. He won't. And if he's a little hungrier, the healthy choices will start looking better.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yep - get rid of "unhealthy" foods. LO learn from what they see other eat.

And give whoever fed him those foods a BIG talking to!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks! Oh yeah, he got a BIG talking to, and the hairy eyeball.

I successfully got DS to eat some berries at lunch, hooray! It's a start. I'll try raisins and see what he thinks. What goes in a green smoothie? I make fruit smoothies with frozen and fresh fruit (and not much else, but occasionally some ice or juice to thin it out) about once a week, but I've never tried to make a green one.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

to me (and LO) prunes are good, better than raisins, somehow they are moister and sweeter. really good, def. like candy. also good digestive benefits!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog