Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: watery milk after 2 months?

Default watery milk after 2 months?

I've been expressing for my premature baby and due to travel had to go without pumping for a good 12-18 hours. when I finally did pump the milk seems watery/cloudy to me? Am I being paranoid? I'm terrified I'm losing my supply completely, it was never great to begin with. Should I save it? Toss it out? so confused!

Default Re: watery milk after 2 months?

the milk is fine. pump more often or if you ever in a lurch w/o electricity, hand express.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

It is good milk. Breastmilk can have a variety of thickness, texture, and even colors. As long as it is stored properly and doesn't smell rancid it is all good. What happened for you was you accumulated more foremilk due to missing pumping which is more watery looking, very normal but a bit less fatty. Next time though find a way to pump because, especially with a preemie, your breasts need that stimulation. You wouldn't be the first mom to pump (or hand express) in a gas station or airport.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*RedPowerLady View Post
    It is good milk. Breastmilk can have a variety of thickness, texture, and even colors. As long as it is stored properly and doesn't smell rancid it is all good. What happened for you was you accumulated more foremilk due to missing pumping which is more watery looking, very normal but a bit less fatty. Next time though find a way to pump because, especially with a preemie, your breasts need that stimulation. You wouldn't be the first mom to pump (or hand express) in a gas station or airport.
    Exactly!

If you are worried about supply, the one thing you absolutely do not want to do is to go long periods without pumping. The key to a good supply is to remove milk frequently and completely. If you're pumping for a new baby, you want to be getting the milk out about as many times as the baby would eat if he were nursing, which means a minimum of 8-10 pumping sessions per day. Leaving milk sitting in the breast for long time periods will sink your supply, because your body will interpret that as a very low demand for milk and consequently decrease supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"