Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: comfort sucking?

Question comfort sucking?

My son is 5 1/2 weeks old and last night I believe that he was tired and not hungry, but wanted to nurse to be close to me. I cuddled him up for a while, but the only thing that he wanted was to nurse. Of course I nursed him, and when I went to pick him up to put him in the swing, he spit up what seemed like all the milk he just got! He's done this several times and each time I get frustrated, and he never cries or seems bothered. I've read about comfort sucking/non nutritive sucking and am wondering, do babies learn to comfort suck on your breast without getting so much milk? I love having my baby close to me but don't want to have to change his (or my) soaking wet clothes each time!

Default Re: comfort sucking?

Yes, he'll eventually learn how to comfort suck. Not sure when, but I do know ds had it figured out by 6 mo.

yep my ds has mastered the comfort suck He will suck not quit hard enough to not make the milk come in? I gave this advice last night and if you have any nipple confusion or see any signs I would not do this!!!!! Have you thought about a paci? Just for the comfort suck when you think that he is getting too much milk? It is up to you but we did use one for a couple of weeks when ds had a very strong need to comfort suck 24-7. Some times I just had to take a shower, go to the bathroom etc. You may also want to try a sling, or hey, why don't you try to give him one of his fingers to suck on. I did that also and it worked, ds just had a hard time keeping them in his mouth. The paci that we used was called the soothie. If you have ever seen a preemie, these are the paci's that they use and are now available at Target and Walmart. My LC said that this one was a good one. Best of luck!

I am in the same boat I think... my DS is almost 5wks and I think he does this too... He gets tired, doesn't seem to be hungry, and the only thing that makes him happy is to nurse. The only difference is, my DS cries until he is put to breast. He will nurse until I am sore (still healing) and can't take it anymore, then will proceed to spit up most of what he nursed. I know he is doing this cause he is tired and but I cannot always handle him nursing cause he will fall off his latch and then I get sore so sometimes we walk or rock and it works. I guess I feel a little better that I am not alone but I have to admit that I wished he had a better way to fall asleep cause sometimes, even when he does go to sleep the moment I put him down he wakes again. I do not have a sling and cannot afford one so wearing him is not an option. I have 1 other child at home with me and then when my 2 older ones come home from school I need to take care of them too. Oh well, I guess it is just nice to know that I am not the only one going through this!

I told my DH that our DS was my little breastaholic cause he nurses so much that he doesn't know how to hold his breastmilk (spitting up)...

We use a pacifier as well at times...when he is taking in too much milk and just spitting it back up. Last night he didn't want that though and so I just kept nursing him until he finally was tired enough to relax and go to sleep. I had him swaddled up so that he was cozy. Sometimes I think he is just fighting going to sleep! He certainly is a sweetheart...

My ds also fought sleep, that can be soo hard!

For what it's worth, I let my DD have a pacifier after about 2 weeks of constant comfort sucking. I know pacifiers are one of those issues everyone has an opinion on, but I would have probably have been institutionalized by now if DD didn't have her binkie. I know they all need to comfort suck early on, but some clearly need it more than others. At her 1 month visit, DD's pediatrician said he was amazed at the death grip she had on her pacifier and that she was one of the strongest comfort suckers he'd come across in 20 or so years of practice! Sometimes you just have to give in to it, I think, if you don't have 24 hours every day to be a human binkie!

Hi,

How can you differentiate between real hunger and comfort sucking?

Thanks
    Prathibha

I also have difficulty telling the difference - my DD sucks her fists for comfort - she also sucks her fists when shes hungry. I know she nurses for comfort though i can never been 100% sure when this is as shes never been a really strong sucker - i think shes a lazy sucker as i had an over active let down when up until she was 2.5 months old - shes having to learn to work for her milk and shes not happy all the time about this

With my baby I can tell from her latch when she's done eating. She'll let it get a little looser, and often move her tongue so that I can feel her teeth now (and this is when I'm likely to get a nibble here and there these days). Her body when she was really small would also relax a lot more, whereas when she was really nursing, she seemed to try to face me more and be closer. I'm sure they all have their own signs, but those are usually cues from my DD.