Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dd only nurses for 5mins

Unhappy My dd only nurses for 5mins

My dd is 2 and 1/2 month old. We went to the ped yesterday and she is a bit small (50% percentile).
    The problem is that even if I offer her my breast every 2hrs she would only nurse for 5 mins, and then she just gets off, or she falls asleep.
    I know I have milk beacause I see it dripping off her mouth..., but with this little demand I am afraid I will loose it.
    any ideas...??????
    the ped ordered I urine exam to check for infections.

I really feel she is fine, but bf is hard for me because I have to offer her milk so often otherwise she wont eat.(she can go 4 hrs without being hungry and then she still nurses only for 5mins)
    Recently her bm are less too, 1 once a week.

thanks
    Federica (dofdof)

Default Re: My dd only nurses for 5mins

Do you have any history of food allergy's or eczema in you or dh's family? Also have you tried breast compressions to keep the milk flowing even while she is asleep?

Don't assume you have a supply problem! Babies usually become more efficient nursers as they get older -- and some of them get VERY efficient, like your daughter, able to get all they need or want in just 5 minutes at the breast.

It is also common for exclusively breastfed babies to start going days, even more than a week, between poops, by the time they are 3 or 4 months old. Your daughter may just be ahead of the curve on that particular skill!

If she has no symptoms of illness, if she is continuing to gain weight (even if her rate of gain has slowed a bit from the first month), and if she makes plenty of urine, then I don't see any evidence of low milk supply or inadequate intake.

--Rebecca

It may ease your mind if you can take your dd to a lactation consultant who can weigh your baby before and after feeding and tell you how many ounces she's getting. I found that very reasurring when my dd suddenly went from 45+ min. feedings to 15 min. Your dd may even be more efficient which would be lucky for you.

Good luck!

Around the same time (2.5 mos. old) my daughter started only nursing for approx. 5 min. on each breast too. She's now 3.5 mos. old and is a very efficient nurser. She will *usually* only nurse 5 min. on each breast, sometimes only 3 or 4 (even occasionally 2 min. if she's not too hungry). Sometimes she'll just want one breast and maybe stay on for 8 min. She's gaining weight great, growing like a weed, healthy, bm's are fine (not ever day like when she was a newborn which is normal). At first I was worried too, thinking she wasn't getting enough milk or that I would start to lose my milk. My mind was put at ease when I asked the same question you are! I always have enough milk for her.

Tracy

Both of my children only nursed for 5 minutes at a time. They were/are effecient feeders and I have a very fast letdown.

DS, 2mo, still only nurses for 5 mins at a time and seems to manage to empty the breast during that time.

DD, 30 mo, increased the length of her nursing as she got older and more able to handle the fast letdown. I think that she couldnt really nurse for comfort till this point. Now she would nurse for hours given a chance!lol

thank you so much for all your support .
    I feel better.

You are doing great! My DD has never nursed for more than 10 minutes in her whole 8 months! She is O/C in height and 95% in weight! I have a fast let down and she can't be bothered with nursing for a long time! Trust your instincts mama! I don't consider 50% small...isn't that average?

I have had the same problem since ds was born! I am always so afraid that he won't take enough for me to be able to keep my milk. HUGE scare of mine. Thing is my letdown hardly even tingles anymore and it doesnt last for very long, thats another reason I feel like my milk might be in jepardy.

Good luck with your situation. Keep us posted. It's nice to know I am not the only one with these issues!

DD did this for a while but was eating every two hours. I was feeding her only on one side. I tried to put her on both sides and she ate! I would try and give her the other side after she eats on one side. What I do now is five minutes on one side, then switch and do all-you-can-eat on the other side...then next feeding (now it's every three hours), start on the all-you-can-eat side for five minutes and then switch. That's helped her sleep better at night too!!

A LC told me that the real measure of how much milk she is getting is peeing not pooping. If she has at least three wet diapers a day, she's good. Breastmilk is a perfect food and a baby uses all of it, so if she's pooping, that's leftovers!