Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night waking-milk allergy

Default night waking-milk allergy

So my 13 month old still nurses a lot. He won't put himself to sleep anymore and wakes up several times a night to nurse. He loves to nurse to sleep! He nurses more at night than he does during the day. I know he should be able to go through the night without eating, but I am scared to night wean. I can't stand to let him "cry it out". When my husband goes in to sooth him, he just screams and looks for me. Any advice on how to successfully night wean?

I don't want to completely wean him since he has a milk allergy, so I can't give him cows milk. He doesn't eat solids very good either, so I worry about him getting all the nutrients he needs.

Maybe me nursing him to sleep is part of the problem, I don't know. But I don't know how else to sooth him. He won't take a bottle or binky. We are getting tired at our house; and I would love any opinions and/or suggestions. Thanks!

Default Re: night waking-milk allergy

IMO, Nursing your baby to sleep is the solution, not the problem. It is normal for a 13 month old to wake at night to nurse, and it is normal and healthy to nurse him to sleep. Listen to your heart, you instinctively know that answering your baby's night time needs w/ your nutritious, comforting breast is the sane thing to do.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

How do you feel about the night nursing? I know it can be exceedingly tiring. But sometimes we get a mama who feels she needs to night-wean not because the night nursing bothers her, but because she's afraid of creating a bad habit, or because someone is pushing her to night-wean. If you're okay with night-nursing, then don't let anyone talk you out of it. It will not hurt your child.

But if you are ready to night-wean, then here are some tips:
    - Try to get your child to fall asleep without a breast in his mouth. This can help break the "nurse to sleep" association that your child has formed. A lot of moms start with a technique called the Pantley Pull-Off (after "No-Cry Sleep Solution" author Elizabeth Pantley), in which you nurse the baby until drowsy, then take him off the breast and put him to bed, and if he cries you nurse him to the drowsy point again, and put him to bed again, and you just repeat this pattern until he finally gives up and goes to sleep. With the PPO, your child doesn't feel panicked or abandoned, because you respond to his needs.
    - Google the Dr. Jay Gordon night weaning method. A lot of mamas have used it, or something like it, to night-wean their babies.
    - Remember that there's a difference between a baby crying it out alone in a crib in a dark room, and a baby crying when mama or papa is right there, offering comfort. The baby may not be getting his favorite form of comfort (the breast), but as long as he is getting some form of gentle parenting- a song, a back rub, whatever- he's not feeling utterly neglected.
    - If your LO takes a bottle or sippy, have a bottle/sippy of water available. sometimes a night-waking toddler is genuinely thirsty.
    - Have reasonable goals. At 13 months, your child might still need a nursing session or two at night. Busy toddlers burn a ton of calories, and sometimes they are too busy to eat, so a midnight snack might really be a need rather than just a want. Of course, this is very individual- most kids probably can go without eating at 13 months but I am convinced that some of them still need to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate the encouragement I don't mind night nursing, but it seems like he is wanting to nurse more and more. He isn't big into solid foods, and is a big boy....so I think he really may need to nurse a time or two at night. I am just getting worn out with the nursing every couple of hours! I am excited to try some of your tips to try and get him back to only nursing once or twice at night.

Could he be teething? I mean, he probably is... Anyway, teething often increases night-waking and night-nursing. So if your night-weaning efforts don't seem to be getting you anywhere, that could be why.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"