Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3-days away from LO. Pump?

Default 3-days away from LO. Pump?

Hi ladies, hoping you can help me with a dilemma.

I need to go away from 3 days in a couple of weeks for a meeting, and my 15-month-old DD will be staying with her grandparents (DH will also be traveling for work). I'm debating whether or not I should pump a few bottles in advance, or just let her go cold turkey and resume nursing when I get back.

Some background:
    My DD still nurses quite frequently (a couple of big feeds every day, plus innumerable quick sips, plus she's back to waking up once every night to nurse). However, she's a relatively good eater, will drink a bit of cow's milk, and she does just fine when I'm at work. (Although I get pretty engorged, so I think she's still taking a lot of milk from me.) She doesn't exactly nurse to sleep anymore, but it's the last thing we do before she goes into her crib for the night, and if she wakes up I always nurse.

I know pumping would probably make sense, but she's never actually taken a bottle, and it's kind of a hassle for me since my milk has excessive lipase and needs to be scalded immediately after pumping so that it doesn't sour.

So, what would y'all do? Pump? Or just hope the grandparents can keep her distracted and drinking cow's milk? Honestly, I doubt she thinks much about nursing when I'm not there, but 3-days is a lot longer than a 8-hour work day.

Thanks!

Default Re: 3-days away from LO. Pump?

Pump! I know it's a PITA to haul the pump around with you, but if you get engorged after one workday, imagine what 3 days of no milk removal could result in! If dealing with the lipase issue would just be a giant pain when you're on the road, I would simply pump and dump, because it sounds like you don't really need the milk that badly.

If you can leave a few bottles of milk, that seems like it would be a good thing, but not an absolutely necessary one. If your LO will drink cow's milk, she won't go without while you're gone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 3-days away from LO. Pump?

Thanks for the reply!
    I should have mentioned I'll definitely be bringing my hand pump with me to relieve the engorgement while I'm away, I was more concerned with whether I should try and pump in advance for DD or not. (And I think the grandparents are worried about how to put her to sleep, and what they'll do if she wakes up at night!)