Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumped amount = low supply???

Default Pumped amount = low supply???

My 15 week old is basically only fed by me at the breast. However, there have been just a few occasions where I was gone and we had some pumped milk in the freezer.

This morning, in preparation for my separation from him for a bit this afternoon, I pumped to add to our dwindling frozen supply. I had just fed him from one breast (all he generally does at a feeding). In the beginning (when he was tiny), even after feeding both sides, I was able to get 4 to 6 oz from EACH breast in a pumping session.

This morning, I only got 1 oz out of the breast where he had just fed and only 2 oz out of the one he hadn't nursed from since 4:30 am.

Does this mean there's something wrong with my supply? He doesn't seem unhappy. Is it even valid to compare pumped amount to the amount baby gets when he nurses since I can't see or measure that?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Pumped amount = low supply???

This doesn't sound like an indication of low supply to me. It sounds like you had an over-abundance of milk, and now you supply better matches your baby's needs so you won't get as much when you pump in between nursings. This is precisely what happened to me. I used to be able to pump 6-10 ounces at any time. Now I only get about 2-3 ounces if I pump in between nursing sessions (which is still pretty good as I understand it), but I get do get more when I pump in place of a nursing session. As long as everything else seems to be going well, I wouldn't worry about your supply. It sounds pretty normal. And I definitely would not compare the amount you pump to the amount your baby gets when he nurses; he is far more efficient than the pump.

Yep, your supply has just now regulated to meet baby's needs. If you had a ton of milk for months I imagine it would be miserable. 3 oz after nursing is still significantly higher than average. It doesn't sound to me that you have any supply problem
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Phew! Thanks! My daughter never would take a bottle, and I pump so infrequently now that I wasn't sure what to expect. Thank you so much!!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com