Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have to toss all of it?

Default Do I have to toss all of it?

We were affected my the blackout in California yesterday. We were without power for roughly 13 hours. I have over 200oz of pumped milk in my freezer. We never opened the freezer but a package of waffles did get somewhat soft. The ice in the ice maker did not defrost. I forgot to check my milk to see if it was thawed at all. Do I have to toss all of it or is it safe to keep it? Thank you so much for any help!

Default Re: Do I have to toss all of it?

Is it a chest freezer? Was the milk 'deeper' in the freezer than the waffles? I would think you're okay if you didn't lose your ice in the ice maker.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Most of it was in the deep frezeer and that milk was solid. This milk was in the door of the freezer along with the waffles. :/ The ice maker is located in front of the freezer right next to the door.

If it was 50% frozen, it's OK.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'd just be sure to use the stuff in the door first.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and