Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increase breast milk in evening?

Default increase breast milk in evening?

Hi,
    I have a question about how to increase breast milk supply in evening.
    I find that around 5-8pm my breast milk supply has diminished. I have a 6 month old who sleeps through the night when he gets a bottle of 6 ounces (ebf) as his bedtime feed (when I'm away from him for some reason), but when I breast feed him, he fusses, pulls away and doesn't drink what is there (2-3 ounces when I pump at that time and don't feed).

I would like to increase the milk supply so I don't have to give him the bottle at night and can just breast feed.

I drink plenty of water during the day and am able to pump enough to almost match what he eats (6 ounces approx every 3 hours) while at work. I have started to take mothers milk plus pills (2 per day).

What else can I do???

Thank you.

Default Re: increase breast milk in evening?

My suggestion is for you to nurse very, very often during the time period when you want to increase your milk--as in, every hour or even more often. And switch sides a few times during each nursing session. This will do two things:
    1. You'll get more let downs, so little by little your baby will get milk
    2. You'll signal to your body that it should make more milk at that time, so eventually your body might learn and adjust.
    It's hard to say how long it will take--a few nights, or several weeks--but it's worth giving it a try.
    These frequent nursing sessions might end up being shorter than usual, and possibly there will be dry nursing, but if you keep at them for a little while you might see results.

6 oz is a TON of milk for a BF baby. A TON. Most BF babies take 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom. You might want to try different bottles to slow his intake down and let him learn to feel full on less milk (there's actually a study that showed that bottlefed infants, even when fed breastmilk, have a harder time learning when they are sated).

Instead of pumping, which is way less effective at stimulating supply than you'd think, try nursing instead. Keep switching sides, back and forth, back and forth and baby will become sated and your supply will increase if you do this regularly.

Also, what you pump is no indicator of supply. He might be taking in a good amount, which is why you are pumping only 2-3 oz. It could also be that he's frustrated with the flow; eating from a breast is slower than from the bottle, and that might annoy him. The flip is also true; you might have a very fast flow, and that can be frustrating for some babies.

I've never taken that particular type of herb and am not familar with the label of that one and its recommendation, but if you take regular fenugreek, the recommended amount is to make your urine and sweat smell like maple syrup.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Evening fussiness is so normal and not an indicator of low supply. Read more: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.