Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8MO Baby has slowed down growth

Default 8MO Baby has slowed down growth

Hi, my child was born at the 25th percentile for growth at 6.6 llbs, in the 1st month went up to 75th (gained 4 llbs) and at 6 mo was at 50th (17 llbs). Now at 8 mo he is at 25th (18.1 llbs) and am still BFing. I have been doing BLW as well. My child is very active, has been crawling since 6.5 mo, now up on his feet letting go with his hands. My issue is the pede only looked at his weight, not height or development to assess that his growth has slowed down and that my milk now may be the problem to be replaced/supplemented. I told her that I was very opposed to this as I had no problem with my first child (BFed til 2.5yrs- which the pede does not know about since she advised me to stop at 1yr). Now I am worried that in doing BLW I have made a major mistake and that his decline is my fault.

I live in iTaly where solid food is very regimented and measured to the gram for food, baby rice, spoonfuls of olive oil, so obviously I didnt tell her that Im doing BLW because I know I would be criticised for it. With my first I made my own baby foods but never told her what I was doing.

Should I be greatly concerned about this? I do wonder if he's getting enough. He's latched on most of the night whereas he wasnt up until 1.5 mo ago. Thanks, diana

Default Re: 8MO Baby has slowed down growth

Does the dr use the new charts for bf babies?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

totally normal for a breastfed baby's weight gain to "slow down" at that age when they start to get mobile

WHO growth charts:
    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I dont know what growth charts she's using. I'd almost be too afraid to bother asking. She isnt very pro BF since when I visited her the first time after my son was born her Q to me was "do you think you have enough milk?" WHAT??? Not, how many wet nappies does he have, how often does he feed??? He has fallen to 25th perc. on the WHO charts as well.

DOES ANYONE THINK I SHOULD BE OVERLY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS? I WILL BE MAKING MY OWN BABY FOODS TO TRY AND GET HIM TO EAT MORE, HOPING THAT WILL WORK ALTHO IT DIDNT TONIGHT....

THANKS!
    D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dianagallo View Post
    I dont know what growth charts she's using. I'd almost be too afraid to bother asking. She isnt very pro BF since when I visited her the first time after my son was born her Q to me was "do you think you have enough milk?" WHAT??? Not, how many wet nappies does he have, how often does he feed??? He has fallen to 25th perc. on the WHO charts as well.

DOES ANYONE THINK I SHOULD BE OVERLY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS? I WILL BE MAKING MY OWN BABY FOODS TO TRY AND GET HIM TO EAT MORE, HOPING THAT WILL WORK ALTHO IT DIDNT TONIGHT....

THANKS!
    D.
    Don't worry unless he loses weight. My lo didn't gain more then 8 oz b/w 8-12m. Then she shot up again aft 12m. I dont bother looking at her weight now untill I put it in her baby book.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Both my girls are and have been slim. They stayed low on the weight. My oldest was 99th for height and 25-30th for weight. My dr figured that as long as she was happy, healty and overall the weight (not percentile) was going up, things were good. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned at all. I'd just smile at the Dr and say "That's something to consider" or "I understand that you think that" and go about your business!

I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal for the percentiles to drop around that age. As long as baby seems happy and healthy, is meeting milestones, is having a normal number of wet and dirty diapers, etc I wouldn't be concerned.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't think you need to worry at all. My pediatrician would tell you that it is totally normal for a baby, particularly a breastfed baby, to shoot up the percentiles in the first few months after birth and then drop back down the charts once he becomes mobile and starts putting calories into action (reaching/rolling/scooting/crawling/standing) instead of packing them on as fat. Both my girls have followed this pattern. It seems to be most significant for highly active babies.

My pediatrician would also tell you to stop worrying about your baby's solid food intake. Until he's around a year old, most of his calories should come from breastmilk, and solids should be more for exploring new tastes, textures, and motor skills than for nutrition.

I have a friend who took a sabbatical in Italy the year her third baby was born, and some of the things she told me about her experiences with the maternity care and pediatrics establishment in Italy were surprising. She said she was very glad that she was a third-time mom, and knew when to just at the Italian doc's crazy bad advice. I am sure there are great obs, midwives, and pediatricians in Italy, but my friend didn't meet any, and I don't think you've met the greatest Italian pediatrician, either.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The only problem is that my pede expects me to weigh my son for the next 2 weeks and then give her my numbers!!! How much can he possibly gain in 2 weeks? This is the ridiculous part of it all, I'm less concerned for my son bc Im confidant in what Im doing, and more concerned with having to face her again!!

My pede would argue that their main source of nutrition come from baby foods (done their way of course) but what sense does supplementing my milk at 8/9 months make??? Time to change pedes I think...thanks everyone