Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pinching, scratching, biting...HELP

Default Pinching, scratching, biting...HELP

My title just about says it all. My 6 month old (with his new two little teeth) is biting, pinching and scratching while nursing.

He is responding to "no biting" when he bites, and doesn't do it as often as he did earlier on, and the scratching is tolerable if I keep his nails trimmed, but it is the pinching that is KILLING me!

He is like a cat kneading my breast while he nurses. I have tried telling him "no pinching", holding his hand, moving his hand, making him hold his other hand, and nothing is working. I even tried (at the suggestion of my sister) flicking his hand, which he thinks is so funny. It is so painful that I am getting really frustrated when we nurse. It started out as something he did every once in a while, but now it is every time, and the whole duration of each nursing session.

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks. AMM

Default Re: Pinching, scratching, biting...HELP

six months was a very fidgety/busy nursing time for us. My son still pinches under my arm when i'm carrying him, and i think it's some kind of subconscious comfort now. When he did it while we were nursing i'd say "ouch!" really seriously so that he knew it hurt. I can't remember if it was completely successful or not. can you give him something else more interesting to hold onto? a small stuffed animal, a car, his blankie?? Is it the breast that he's nursing on or the other side? If it's the toher side, can you just make that unavailable to him?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thank you so much for your quick reply. It is the breast that he is nursing on that he pinches at. He has played with the other side but yes, I have learned to cover up. I have tried the toy in the past and he would drop it. I will try to reintroduce the toy and a variety of other objects. I will also try your "ouch!" response to see if anything helps.

Thank you!

does he have a blankie that he loves that you could rest on you while he's nursing so he could fixate on that? I know my little guy loves fleecy blankets with satin around the edges to rub between his fingers. It will pass too -- i remember being sort of out of my mind at that age with activity going on during nursing -- they're just learning so many things and they're hard to keep still!!

I think I actually wrote your exact post when Joe was that age ... I should look for it! He was quite the biter, scratcher, and pincher. I had actual bruises all over my chest - lovely! Anyway, the phase seemed to pass. All I did was move his hands every time, grit my teeth, and find other things for him to play with. Nursing necklaces (just a big pendant your baby can play with) help a lot of women. Also, I second the lovey idea - ANYTHING to keep his hands off you! I was worried, but it passed, and other irritating habits took its place.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

the necklace is a good idea too. I have a long necklace with a charm with dh, ds, doggie and my first inital on it with a big ring around the whole thing. your son is too young to be saying it probably, but i started saying "dada, mama, max, haddie" when he played with them and now it's his favorite thing to play with while nursing at 20 months - totally forgot about that one, but very effective.

My LO was fascinated with earrings (once I taught her NOT to pull them out of my head). She likes that they dangle right at her eye level and there is one for each side. The necklaces didn't work as well for us (unless they were very short) since she'd unlatch to put the necklace in her mouth. I've also used charm bracelets, probably the elastic/cheapo dollar store ones are good since you can then switch hands easily.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks for the great ideas! I'm going to go put a necklace on right now!

The pinching, kneading,etc... Helps stimulate letdown. Sometimes knowing the root of the behavior helps. Soon it will be twiddling other nipple or side switching.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.