Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible sleep solution

Default Possible sleep solution

I've been struggling w/ getting my 7 mos old DD to sleep at night w/o hanging out on my breast all the time. I know I've seen some other people struggling w/ this kind of thing too. We have a 3 yr old so I've been quick to let DD nurse so that she doesn't wake up DS and I don't want to do the CIO method. Yesterday I found this link and thought some of the rest of you might be interested. I'm not sure if it will work. So far for naps today I've done this "pick up/put down" technique w/ some luck. The next step though is how to get her to nurse before bed w/o falling asleep so we can let her go through this process. I hope this helps some of the rest of you struggling w/ these same problems we are!!

http://mygoodparenting.com/2011/03/1...to-cry-it-out/

Default Re: Possible sleep solution

Watch out...that site promotes the Baby Whisperer, a parenting method that can damage a breastfeeding mother's supply. Just FYI
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Don't know anything else about the Baby Whisperer, but I personally have no problems w/ supply and would feel like I can function better as a mom if I can get a decent amt of sleep.

Well mostly I let him eat at night if I cant just rub his back and get him back to sleep. He is such a busy bee now that I would be concerned about him eating enough during the day to sleep all night.

I get how desperate moms get for sleep, believe me. I am the Queen of Sleep Deprivation.

I just don't subscribe to the idea that four month olds should be able to "self-soothe" (my two year old CAN self-soothe to some extent, but he sure couldn't at that age) or that nursing to sleep is a "bad habit" that needs to be discouraged.

I know everyone has to make their own choices on these things, we just want moms to be informed that any plan that involves delaying feedings or not feeding on demand, etc., can impact your supply.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

If you want more non-cio sleep suggestions I'd love to offer some. I think it is commendable, very much, you have chosen not to go that route. I can also provide resources on why cio is dangerous. I hope this doesn't sound discouraging because I love where you are going with this but the link provided had several red flags for me. As one example it notes holding or rocking a baby to sleep as a bad habit or sleep crutch. Well that just isn't even biologically sensible. Babies are biologically primed to wake at night and we are biologically primed to respond with touch (and nursing). To suggest nature got it wrong doesn't even make common sense.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*RedPowerLady View Post
    If you want more non-cio sleep suggestions I'd love to offer some. I think it is commendable, very much, you have chosen not to go that route. I can also provide resources on why cio is dangerous. I hope this doesn't sound discouraging because I love where you are going with this but the link provided had several red flags for me. As one example it notes holding or rocking a baby to sleep as a bad habit or sleep crutch. Well that just isn't even biologically sensible. Babies are biologically primed to wake at night and we are biologically primed to respond with touch (and nursing). To suggest nature got it wrong doesn't even make common sense.
    I agree, now when my little guy is crazy at night like he is right now I will try to sooth him back to sleep other ways besides nursing, just because I know he ate 30 minutes before. The sad part is every ped I have ever met including mine thinks my poor little guy should go all night without eating and if he gets up I shouldn't even go in to comfort him She has no idea that he sleeps in our room I have given up trying to find one that is resonable so I just keep our apt to the medical stuff

My little guy became far too busy and distractible during the day to nurse terribly well (although he did nurse frequently) ever since about six months (he's nine months now). He guzzles down milk at night, however, when he's too tired to worry about playing and crawling and talking and so on. I would be very worried about his milk intake if he did not nurse at night. Our pediatrician agrees that this is not uncommon, and told me that 1/3 of all babies do not sleep through the night at nine months (I suspect that this number is low due to inaccurate reporting by parents).

I this this is important to keep in mind as well:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I know everyone has to make their own choices on these things, we just want moms to be informed that any plan that involves delaying feedings or not feeding on demand, etc., can impact your supply.
    Although some women have a pretty robust milk supply, supply is very sensitive to changes in demand in other moms and they need to be aware of potential threats to breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*RedPowerLady View Post
    the link provided had several red flags for me. As one example it notes holding or rocking a baby to sleep as a bad habit or sleep crutch. Well that just isn't even biologically sensible. Babies are biologically primed to wake at night and we are biologically primed to respond with touch (and nursing). To suggest nature got it wrong doesn't even make common sense.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

The problem with Baby Whisperer is that she promotes block feeding starting at day four for all women.

Now, if you have an OS, that's fine. I've done block feeding practically from the get go with two of my babies to manage an OS. But for MOST women, that just doesn't work. Most women don't have an OS, and block feeding -- where you go a period of time with nursing on one side only and then change sides -- can be detrimental or mean that they don't make enough milk in the long run. What works better is to nurse on demand, as much as baby needs. That may mean you nurse every hour. And I dare say...that may mean you nurse during the night.

I get being tired. I have FOUR kids under the age of 7. My youngest is special needs. But methods that do not promote attachment, suggest that rocking and cuddling are crutches, and limiting baby's ability to nurse on demand make me concerned for moms who might not understand that there are ways to handle baby's needs and ensure mom gets enough rest.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!