Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nystatin cream in his mouth?

Default Nystatin cream in his mouth?

So my doc told me to try Nystatin cream 4 times a day on that nipple that has been swollen and painful for the last 5 weeks.
    I don't know if it's all in my mind, but it's already better, so it might be thrush...

But she also told me to put some in baby's mouth and I'm so reluctant to do that. It tastes very unpleasant and I feel weird about putting medical stuff inside his tiny little mouth.
    Is it perfectly safe to do? Anyone done it before? He's only 7 weeks....

Default Re: Nystatin cream in his mouth?

It is safe. It's not absorbed by the gut. And to treat thrush on you, you HAVE to treat baby or you get reinfected from baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

He doesn't have any symptoms, but I know it's important not to get re-infected. So I assume I put it on his tongue and gums? Poor thing!

I also wondered if it would be ok the give him the Acidophilus treatment at the same time as Nystatin!? Probiotics would help right?
    Last edited by @llli*lilycurly; September 9th, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

absolutely probiotics will help. it might be sufficient to put the cream on your nipples and let baby nurse, that way you aren't applying it only in certain spots. Though if it tastes bad it might not work.

You could also use gentian violet to treat baby if you are uncomfortable with the Nystatin or if it doesn't work.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Would putting the cream on my nipple and letting him suck mess with the effects? Since the milk is sugary I read that the anti-yeast cream wouldn't work as well...
    I'm really having a hard time putting it in his mouth, and when I do manage to do it, he wants to nurse right after (very frequent nurser) and so I have the feeling that all the cream gets washed away with the milk...

I don't know about the cream, but when I used gentian violet I was told to put it on my nipples and let my daughter nurse.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When I had thrush with baby #1, I used Nystatin cream on my nipples but an oral suspension in the baby's mouth. You might need to reapply the cream after a nursing because it will get washed away, but if it just makes him want to nurse again, you probably should try something else. Maybe you can ask the doctor about the oral suspension (not so nasty tasting as the cream, but you describe the cream as sugary, and mine definitely was not).

I used gentian violet and grapefruit seed extract with the second. Honestly, I think the gentian violet gave me the most improvement, but it was horribly messy to deal with. I found it easier to apply it to the baby's mouth after a nursing and then to put it on myself separately was a little less messy, but it is still messy.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

The cream isn't sugary, it's pretty nasty, but the breastmilk is, so I thought the milk would make the yeast worst and stop the cream from doing it's work...

Where can I get Gentian Violet? Do I need to see my doctor again?
    Also I know GSE is very strong tasting, is it hard to give it to baby?

You can get it in the first aid section of most pharmacies. I think I got mine at wal mart. You don't need to see the doc for it. Here's the best article I've seen about treating thrush. The GV worked best for me, the key to not being too messy for me was using very tiny amounts.
    --Anonymous

I had a hard time finding Gentian Violet--not at Walmart or CVS or Rite Aid. I found it at a mom and pop pharmacy in a nearby town. My husband made phone calls to find it.

I never gave my baby GSE, though I did put a very dilute solution on my breasts after a nursing. I also took pills orally. I wouldn't want to put something that bad tasting in a baby's mouth on a regular basis.

I definitely second using very small amounts of GV. It's all you need, and it does help contain the mess. Part of my problem was that when the baby and I were using it, we were having major nursing issues, and I was also having to pump. The purple just kind of freaked me out (and I was in a fragile emotional state anyway). I just wanted to warn you so that if you did use it, you wouldn't melt down the first time your baby's face turned purple as I did. I still think it was my most effective tool, though.

I hope you get some relief soon.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)