Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New mom in serious need of new advice

Default Re: New mom in serious need of new advic

not a hospital grade pump.. ill probably get one.. idk she was never fussy when i was strictly bottlefeeding or in the first several weeks of breastfeeding. She was normally such a happy sweet tempered baby.. she's always smiling and happy after our occasional successful feeding. I guess thats prob why its so hard. I know she is crying because she is hungry.

How old is she?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

almost 4months

http://www.babycenter.com/0_teething_11243.bc

Could she be teething? Pulling at the breast and crying is something my lo does when she teethes. Any bum rash? Drooling?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma

Super cute picture!!!

no bum rash LOTS of drooling! Wow teething already? Where did the time go?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vtowen View Post
    not a hospital grade pump.. ill probably get one.. idk she was never fussy when i was strictly bottlefeeding or in the first several weeks of breastfeeding. She was normally such a happy sweet tempered baby.. she's always smiling and happy after our occasional successful feeding. I guess thats prob why its so hard. I know she is crying because she is hungry.
    Most bottlefed infants are not fussy because they get too much milk from bottles usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vtowen View Post
    no bum rash LOTS of drooling! Wow teething already? Where did the time go?
    Could be. Could also be an allergy/sensitivity, reflux or other medical issue.

Instead of using a bottle, you can use an SNS, like a Lact-Aid, and do supplemental feedings at the breast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When there is a serious question as to whether or not a baby is getting enough milk, and diaper output doesn't quite answer that question (as in your circumstance- 4 diapers probably isn't quite enough but 5-6 would be, and that's a small difference in absolute numbers), one option is to rent a hughly accurate professional baby scale and do some weigh-feed-weigh measurements. This allows you to determine to the 1/10th of an oz how much the baby ate in a feeding. If you do this for every feeding over the course of a few days, you will get a very accurate picture of your baby's milk intake. Some LCs do these test weights during a consult, but I encourage you to do many weights over the course of a few days, since one test doesn't tell you much. In a LC's office, a babyay feed better than or worse than usual, leading to a flee picture of the average feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Not a professional, but I do have some advice >>>

If your only pumping 2 ounces DONT freak out.. you and your body are in love with your child, NOT the pump.. so your right, , it is a pyschological process as well as physical.. To help increase your milk supply while pumping have a clear mind set of your baby and dont think of anything else, if you are away from your baby keep pictures to look at while pumping..
    Also, STOP the diet!! you need to eat a MININUM 2,500 cals a day .. (the extra 500 for your LO) and I know you may be disgusted with water but you need to be drinking ALOT, atleast "6 bottles a day" seems like a lot.. try getting some crystal light flavors to add, IT HELPS!!
    Pooping sparticaly is normal for BF babies.. but no more than 7 days.
    Remember to stay calm during feeding or pumping (moods change EVERYTHING!!!) .................
    Mommy 2 Melody (my brat) 11.12.08.. BF 4 12 months
    Mommy 2 Kallen (my sweetie) 6.20.11 still BF.. Plan on until 24 months!!