Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low milk for my 20mon old

Unhappy low milk for my 20mon old

I have had very low milk since my little girl was about 12 months. I am never full and have not felt a let down since 10 months or so. My little girl will suck for 5 or 10 min and only get a couple swallows. It has been this way for several months. I have been taking mother's love: more milk plus for 9 days now and it is not helping. She doesn't give up though. It seems like we have a lot of issues with nursing. I would love her to nurse during the day but she will only do it and bedtime and early morning at about 5 or 6am. I don't know what to do.

Default Re: low milk for my 20mon old

When a baby is not nursing much, it's very normal not to feel full. The best way to make more milk is to remove milk frequently and completely- so if your baby won't nurse more, the best thing you can probably do is to pump. But don't worry- as long as your LO will nurse, you will continue to make milk!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Would you like tips to get over the daytime nursing strike? That would help your supply.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Redpower yes I would. She went on a full strike at 13mon. It took almost 3 days to get her back on again. Mommal: I nursed 4 babies. My milk is dwindling. My right side stopped at 11 months. I couldnt get anything out of either side with a pump since 10 months. I just had a hand pump that wasnt very good though. My daughter nursed this morning at 7am in the bed and she got 2 small swallows and tried getting more for almost 15 minutes. She finally gave up and went back to sleep. She was upset like she is every morning. I have had trouble with supply the last 2 children. If I were to miss 1 feeding then it would take a week to build it back up again. I dont know what is going on with my body though. I stay hydrated. I carry a bottle of water around all day! I take the more milk plus supplements. I know that I dont have to be engorged to have milk this late in the game. But both my breasts have returned to pr pregnancy size. I am not able to buy a decent pump to help either. Having human milk for my little girl is very important to me but I just cant buy a good pump. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!! Thank you.

Oh, mama, that sounds hard! I think the first thing I would do would be to talk to your doctor. Problems with thyroid function or other hormonal issues could explain why you've had trouble maintaining and boosting supply. After 4 babies I think you're probably a good judge of what is going on with your body, and if you perceive a problem you're probably right.

Is a rental pump an option for you? IMO, hand pumps are junk. I mean, some moms have good luck with them but for the majority of moms they just don't do diddly. If a rental isn't an option, maybe contact your local LLL. Maybe someone has a pump they want to get rid of. I know a lot of people think pumps should be "single user" items, but I personally think a clean pump with new attachments is fine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I will have to see my doc then. Thank you very much. I never thought there might be something actually going on with my body. I will check on rentals also.