Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plugged ducts n supply

Default Plugged ducts n supply

Dear Ladies,

I have posted earlier on pumping chit chat thread that i was dealing with a plugged duct n blister.

Dealt with this for more than 10days now and thought the plugged duct issue was resolved. Unfortunately, i just realize that particular duct hasnt got any milk coming out anymore when i pump this morning(4a.m)

I was able to get about 4oz on this right breast but this time round, i only managed to pump 2.5oz. This is freaking me out. (my left breast is usually 0.5-1oz more. I only pump once or twice a day. )

Will this duct be able to produce milk again or it's completely dried up?

Any moms have had this problem before?

All ideas on how to get this resolve are greatly appreciated.

jamie

Default Re: Plugged ducts n supply

Yes you will be able to recover! Easy answer is to maximize time at the breast. It may take a few days but it should resolve itself.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Stimulation will cause a "dry" duct to recover supply. For the record, 2.5 oz is still a very good amount to pump. 4 oz is actually a rather large amount to pump, and the more milk there is in the breast the more likely you are to come down with a plugged duct.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Stimulation will cause a "dry" duct to recover supply. For the record, 2.5 oz is still a very good amount to pump. 4 oz is actually a rather large amount to pump, and the more milk there is in the breast the more likely you are to come down with a plugged duct.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Hi mommal, Susan,

FYI, I would only get the 4oz usually after 4-5hrs break when DD doesn't wake up for the midnight feed. Other time during the day is about 2.5-3oz.

As for my plugged duct side, i am still not able to get back to the 4oz when pumping during midnight.

When do they usually get back to pre-plugged duct output?

My boobs are loop sided now and it is quite obvious.

Hmmm, maybe this depends on the person? I recently had a plug that affected 25% of my breast. It lasted about three days. After the plug was gone that breast was a little slower, but now that it's been a week it has picked up. I can't tell whether that particular duct is still producing, because I don't pump, but I can tell that the whole breast is making more milk again because LO is satisfied with just one breast at a time.

I don't know if my experience is typical or not.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Hmmm, maybe this depends on the person? I recently had a plug that affected 25% of my breast. It lasted about three days. After the plug was gone that breast was a little slower, but now that it's been a week it has picked up. I can't tell whether that particular duct is still producing, because I don't pump, but I can tell that the whole breast is making more milk again because LO is satisfied with just one breast at a time.

I don't know if my experience is typical or not.
    Hi kmanih,

Thanks for your info. I know mine is not recovered yet coz DD is not satisfied after a feed. And it has been almost 3 wks now.
    Also, the blister issue hasn't been resolved yet. I can still see a layer of skin and I cannot bear to open it again. Its really painful to nurse when I open it and after a day, it will close again.

Just hoping it will not be that long for this breast to go back to pre-plugged duct output.

My blister took 2 months to resolve, so did a friends. Pain gets better before then though. Fussing after/during feeding does not necessarily indicate supply issues. Maybe she's upset because she is sensing your pain?
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Hi LLLmommies, help needed again,

Since last Sept, 3rd wks onwards, i have been working very hard to bring back my right breast supply after partially healing from d blister with nursing, then pump while nursing on my left.

After doing that for 10days, i was able to pump around 2-2.5oz every 3-3 1/2 hrs apart(without nursing 1st) Which is great. Then i was down with flu n cough 2nd wk of this mth n still having d cough though but not as bad now.

Now my supply is down again. I am only able to get 1.5oz after every 3hrs now
    does this mean that my rightie is doomed n i just wait to let it dry up

I am definitely very worried as DD gets frustrated when nursing on this side

Pls pls, i dont want my right breast to dry up.
    What more other things that i can do to get my supply back?

Thanking in advance for all ideas..

It's never too late to get supply to increase. It's a myth that your milk supply can "just dry up". If you lose supply, it is typically due to one of the following reasons:
    - inappropriate birth control choice (hormonal contraception methods can have negative impacts on supply)
    - pregnancy (something like 80% of women will lose their milk supply while pregnant)
    - insufficient milk removal or insufficient breast stimulation

Insufficient milk removal- i.e. not nursing or pumping often enough or emptying the breast completely enough- is probably the most common reason for a mom to lose supply. I know you've been working hard on that right breast, but if you want it to produce milk you have to keep at it. I suggest doing the following:
    - start all or most feedings on the right side
    - pump that side after and in between feedings
    The more stimulation you give lazy righty the more milk it should ultimately produce. You might want to consider taking fenugreek or eating some oatmeal- those foods often give moms a boost in their supply, and maybe if the supply on the right were a little higher your baby would spend longer nursing on that side. A nursing baby is the best route to improved supply.

HTH!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"