Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Maintaing decreased supply

Post Maintaing decreased supply

A little background-my LO was born June 29th, weighed 7 lbs 01oz. At her 10 day check-up she had gained almost 2 pounds. I mentioned to the MD that I was concerned about the amount/force of her spit ups. The MDs response was well whatever you are doing its working. 2 weeks later she started to have stridor after feeding and she would then proceed to have very forceful vomiting. She was wanting to eat every hour. So back to the MD where she was put on rantidine and I was told that I was feeding her to frequently. I was told to only feed her every 3 hours and to give her a pacifier. I was completley shocked by these directives. Well I did not listen, I continued to feed on demand (I did try to deter for longer, but not to the point no return) and she would not take a pacifier. I had also mentioned to the MD that I felt I had a forceful letdown as she would often times choke and that she would only eat for 5 min on one side and would not take more. I was told to pump prior to feeding. NOT ONCE did the MD ever ask about other symptoms/behaviors. Fast forward to my LO's 2 month check-up and again she gained a significant amount of weight-she weighed 11 lbs 8 oz. Again I was told that I should only feed her every 3 hours. Things just did not seem right so I sought out this wonderful forum to hopefully give me some answers. Well I found my LO had 8 out of the 15 behaviors listed on this site related to over supply.

Sooooo..
    I began block feeding 5 days ago. When I first started I was able to pump 6 0z in 5 min on one breast. Today I pumped just enough to cover what she consumed while I was at work. I pumped 3x in the 10 hours I was away. At each session I only pumped on 1 side for 5 min. Each session yeilded approx 4 oz. I could have pumped more if I was to pump both breast or drain my breast completley at each session. I am concerned that I will end up with over supply again or that I will end up with under supply. How I got to the supply I have today was to feed on one side for 2 feedings. What is the best way to maintain a successful decrease in supply? Do I continue to feed on one side per every 2 feedings? Or, go to feeding every other?

Thanks for any input. Just in the few days I have been doing this I have noticed a big change in my LO's behavior

Default Re: Maintaing decreased supply

There is no hard and fast rule. I suggest keep doing what you are until it no longer works (block feeding on demand). If you feel you swing to a supply dip that is not a right fit for you then have a little nurse in and your babe will fix the problem. Props to you for ignoring that horrible advice your doc gave.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

with the PP. It is so true that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to managing oversupply. You just have to keep tinkering with it and watching your LO and her diaper output. As long as her diaper output continues to be normal, your supply is fine. If you feel like diaper output or pump output is dropping too low, then you simply stop block feeding and start pumping both breasts more often and for longer time periods.

Sorry if that's not the reply you were hoping for! Managing oversupply is an art, not a science.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the replys....that is what I was thinking but just thought I would check.

Trust those mama instincts, right on!
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I am happy to say, that yesterday, I was able to see that my LO's behaviors are much better. Only one time did she want to eat in less than 2 hours and she actually went 3-4 hours in between all her other feedings (her output is still good).