Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lazy little sucker

Default Lazy little sucker

Ok, I know babies are supposed to respond to milk flow, they're not really lazy. That's what has me worried. DS has been at the breast all day (which is becoming the norm) but he's barely sucking. He's having issues gaining weight as it is and I've been told to pump to increase my supply. How, exactly, with him latched all day?? Getting really frustrated, can't keep him actively sucking. Is it possible for your baby to be the worst possible thing for your milk supply?
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

Default Re: Lazy little sucker

Pump one side and nurse at the other at the same time.

I get how hard it is...when I had to start EPing with this fourth baby, I was still trying to get him to nurse (which took both hands since he has no suction), I was trying to pump, I had three other kids to look after, no help at home, and it was crazy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Have you tried doing compressions to keep the milk flowing?
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Tried the one-sided pumping; it'll take some practice! Compressions seem to help on and off.
    Finally have a silver lining!! DS is finally back to birth weight and the rate at which he's gaining weight is increasing! We're still not out of the woods, but things are looking up! I feel like I can relax a bit, step back and breathe
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

super!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?