Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: birth conrol safe while breastfeeding?

Default Re: birth conrol safe while breastfeedin

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/

www.tcoyf.com

both have good info on fertility, although the fertility friend is more geared to people trying to conceive, it really helped me see what ovulation looks like on a chart and understand it better (your body temp will rise after ovulation and by waiting after you confirm ovulation 3 days you know you can't get pregnant that cycle as the egg has already died).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

It's been what I've used since I got married over 3 years ago (before that, abstained) but we also had a child in that time and it took over a year for my cycles to resume after her birth so really more like 1-1.5 yrs. The success rate is high IF you understand all the rules and follow them, if you are confused, ask for someone to help because (and I hate to say this but it's true) but that is how we got our daughter. Looking back I can't understand how I missed the very very obvious signs of fertility but I did and there we have our little girl who was unplanned but also the most wonderful thing in our lives. But since that, we have been accurate and have avoided pregnancy and this month will be trying to conceive!!! (she is 26 mos old now)
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

This page goes over the various fertility awareness methods (which some refer to as natural family planning): http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...eness-4217.htm. Basically, the idea is for a mom to learn how to read her body well enough to identify her fertile period and either avoid intercourse during that period or use a barrier method during that time. It is a lot more complex than the old rhthym method. These are great methods for couples who are committed to using them correctly, and for women who are willing to do the work involved in using one of these methods. They require a lot more effort than, say, popping a pill every day, because for them to work well you need to keep highly accurate track of a lot of data- things like the length of your cycle, the day of your cycle, your basal body temperature, your cervical mucus, cervical position, etc.

Toni Weschler's book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a great primer, if you're interested.

ETA: I see that krystine said everything I wanted to say, only faster and more eloquently!
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; September 8th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great! Thank you krystine i will check into it. My daughter is fifteen months and i just got my cycle back a week ago she is my first baby. Im just learning as i go lol its been a rocky road but we got through and i am so grateful for the support of the lll

Sounds great! Thanks

I stayed on the minipill for over 2 years I hadn't started my cycle. I wasn't even that good about taking it. Now we are just using condoms beccause my milk supply is pretty low of course I am nursing a three old but I don't want to force him to wean because I have no milk also I don't like how the extra hormones make me feel but I am a little to scatterbrained for natural family planning method every month I either think I might be pregnant or my period just sneaks up on me but I want one more so I am fine if that happens. Any way if you still wanted the minipill a doc should give it to you. Definitely don't get the shot it can totally dry you up.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby