Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow milk flow - only one 'stream'

Default Re: Slow milk flow - only one 'stream'

I thought I was the only one with this problem. It scares me because my LO will only really nurse on that side if she's wanting to sleep or just wants comfort nursing but it affects my supply that I'm trying to build up.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Just a little update since I started this thread - my daughter is now 16 weeks and we are still breastfeeding . My left side has always been more troublesome than my right - more painful from the start and uncomfortable to hold her there - and as a result always had lower supply because I favoured my right side. All of a sudden two weeks ago I noticed that my daughter was nursing MUCH better on that side - she was able to get into a real rhythm and I could feel that she was able to empty the breast much faster. Since then I see that when expressing, I have two streams . They still come from the same place on the nipple but it all seems to come out a bit faster. Right side is pretty much the same, although I did also see an inkling of a second stream (again - from same nipple pore) yesterday.

I'm still supplementing with formula and her weight gain is slow - but I feel a huge sense of relief that all the efforts haven't been in vain. I can highly recommend accupuncture for anyone struggling with low milk supply, it is the one thing that has made the most difference to me, even though I have no idea whether that's helped the single stream issue or not - or even if the single stream is the cause of all the problems.

A question - for all you lucky ladies who have more than one stream (!) - do all the streams come from the same pore, or do you have streams coming from multiple points all over the top of the nipple?? I know it sounds like a dumb question but i've never seen another woman breastfeeding so close up!

PS Miniwo - I hear you - keep going, you never know what might happen if you just keep plugging away

Glad you hung in there!

It comes from several pores on my nipple.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

DONT worry if you have only a single stream. I had only a single stream on one side and two streams on the other. Yet my lo gained 300 grams each week. I was worriied too, but my lactation consultant told me, just concentrate on the output and weight and ignore everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*san30 View Post
    DONT worry if you have only a single stream. I had only a single stream on one side and two streams on the other. Yet my lo gained 300 grams each week. I was worriied too, but my lactation consultant told me, just concentrate on the output and weight and ignore everything else.
    San30 - thanks for your message. Can I ask you, how long did your feeds take? My LO is almost 4 months and it's getting hard to keep her on the breast for more than 10 minutes, after that she's taken the edge off her hunger and i think is just waiting for me to give her the bottle so won't keep feeding. So I keep having to express in order to keep my supply up - it takes around 30 mins to empty both sides, and longer for my LO to empty both (when I can coax her into doing so). I'm interested to know whether you were able to complete a feed in a shorter timeframe. Thanks a lot

Woohoo! So glad you're still hanging in after 16 weeks of what doesn't sound like fun! I hope someone else struggling reads your post & encourages them to keep at it as well! Congratulations!