Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nervous breakdown....acid reflux

Default Nervous breakdown....acid reflux

My DD is 7 mos old and has me at my wits end. She has been taking prevacid for acid reflux for 1 1/2 mos. Last night she woke up 8 times b/w 7:45pm and 6:30am. This is what almost every night is like. She might sleep one 2hr stretch but mostly she wakes up crying every hour or even every 15 minutes. Many times she doesn't even want to nurse or for me to hold her. She doesn't want to be put down either though. She thrashes around in my arms and cries. Last night she did just want to be held. Her peds say it's the reflux and she'll just out grow it. But will she just miraculously start sleeping at night?? I have a 3 yr old DS and I can't function to take care of my family on this amt of sleep- I feel frustrated and helpless about what to do for her. She seems otherwise healthy- 90th percentile for height even. Anyone else going through something like this??? Any advice or support appreciate

Default Re: Nervous breakdown....acid reflux

Could she be teething instead of it being reflux?
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

That's what I thought a few times, but this has been going on almost since the time she was born.

Are you able to get her to burp? My DD is very gassy and a very difficult burper and it seems to cause her a LOT of pain at times
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

We are in the same boat, but it hasn't been every night but last night was definitely one of them. It's exhausting and frustrating. I really don't like the fact that I can't seem to calm him down. My thoughts are this... Are you doing solids at night? I have found that if I try to "top" him off at night or if I try to give him solids at night it is worse. If you are doing solids at night, maybe try doing it around lunch time so she can digest it before lying down for the night??

You won't like this but some babies are just like that. My third was horrendous. He was up at least -- at least -- NINE time a night from birth until he was around 2. He still sometimes wakes at night. My first was also a big waker. My second would wake up but go back to sleep. My fourth will have good and bad nights.

IMHO, reflux does make it worse, and all four of mine had reflux. The third did have bad reflux and took Axid and Prevacid together.

It was tough. But it does pass. Eventually.

I would definitely consider teething. That third was really awful in the 4-6-8 weeks before a tooth would pop through, and he started somewhere around 7 months. It peaked probably around 9-11 months and then slowly got better.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi! My son is 9 months old. I feel your pain with acid reflux. He has been on zantac, prilosec, and a few more. He's a BF baby also. We would put cereal in his milk (after I pumped and put it in a bottle) to thicken it up to help him keep it down. He's also had an upper GI to check and see what is wrong. Thankfully that turned up good. Here's what helped me. Put her on her belly to sleep. It has helped my Lil man out tremendously!! Think about it...when you have a heartburn, what happens when you lay on your back...it gets worse. Well the same with our little ones too. My Lil man has slept on his belly since he was 4 months old...best decision I ever made! Good luck!