Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling a little lost...

Default Re: Feeling a little lost...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mshw.mum View Post
    So I shouldn't worry about the fact he is suddenly not emptying the boob and only wanting to eat for 5 or 6 min now on 1 side per feed? He pretty much is causing me to block feed with this latest pattern. It just seems odd especially as now he won't sleep more than 30 or 40 min between feeds.
    How is his diaper output and overall mood when awake? If he is producing plenty of wet and poopy diapers and seems overall happy and content then I would give it a couple days and go back to block feeding if you are feeling engorged. If his output is not good, or he is out of sorts, then an appt with the ped might be an idea just to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection or something else that is causing him discomfort while nursing. Follow your mommy instinct. BTW both my kids have gone through growth spurts where they suddenly started nursing constantly. Usually they only would last a few days, but during these times it sure got exhausting.

with pp. With OALD, my DD can easily get a full feed during only 5 minutes of nursing. Their little tummies are so small, and breast milk so easily digested, that even with a full meal, they can be empty and hungry again in about 30 minutes when going through a growth spurt.
    Last edited by @llli*wdsmom; September 7th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Default Re: Feeling a little lost...

Thanks everyone. I'm going to let the OALD issue sort itself out (as mentioned, they grow into this). However, the fussing was becoming a real issue, and he only gained 90g during the week, whereas he usually gains 200g/week. We went to the doctor to get him checked out and they reckoned it was silent reflux and him associating the feeding with a sore tummy. So we have been using Gaviscon Infant twice a day, and he is back to feeding his usual amount now, only fussing on the odd feed.
    Babies are funny things.. just as we got that sorted, the last 2 nights he decided to wake up 1 to 2 hours between every feed, then feed for 10 min, but this was only after doing a solid stretch of 5 hours both nights before waking. He also went back to his usual feed/sleep pattern during the day, so it doesn't seem to be a growth spurt, but who knows??