Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a little lost...

Default Feeling a little lost...

Hey everyone. I'm new to the boards, though I have been reading up on various issues here and on kellymom, heck, any other sites regarding breastfeeding.

My story:
    LO was born 12 days overdue, by vontouse after an induction and epidural. He latched well, drank well, and cluster fed for 7 hours straight our second night together. The colostrum begun changing to the milk we see now before we left our post natal care unit on day 3. The first week home, everything seemed normal, nice mustard yellow poo with cottage cheese consistancy, but after that week, it changed fast to dark grass green, mucousy, sometimes frothy, but mostly snot textured poo. LO is now going on 9 weeks. The poo is still green, almost constantly. It has only been yellow 3 times and usually around 4am in the morning.

I've been dairy free since week 3. The only change that seems to have made is that the poop while still green, seems more solid, and no longer mucousy. It is still sometimes grass green, but also a lime green at times.

I tried drinking a little bit of Milo with oat milk once, and that made no difference, so I'm not convinced it is a dairy issue.

I have a very fast let down. The first 5 min of feeding is always accompanied by choking, gasping, coughing and spluttering. I tried feeding off 1 breast for 4 days during week 2, and block feeding off one breast during week 3 and 4, still green. I was taking Elevit both pre and post birth, and stopped taking that for 2 weeks, it made no difference. During this time he slept well for 2/3 hours between feeds.

For a time, from his 5 week growth spurt, LO drank for a good 10 minutes on both sides, but then for 2 weeks afterwards did not want to sleep during the day (he lost his ability to self settle it seemed although I didn't change our feeding/play/sleep routine), and would sleep for 5 and 6 hour blocks at night, but was always overtired. Then, last week he started taking half an hour on each side, and sleeping for at least 1 hour with each nap, but this only lasted 2 days.

In the space of just 1 feed he is now back to not wanting to nap, but now he is also only wanting to eat for 5/6 min off one boob during the day, and 10 min off one boob during night feeds. He will arch his back and scream if I try and get him to eat anymore. I check for gas, but he seems fine. He does spit up a fair amount, and has done so on and off since week 5. He is also getting up every 2 hours at night now. This is not the same behaviour as his previous 2 growth spurts, he usually ate more! This morning he even woke at 5am, not even an hour after his last feed, hungry. I knew he hadn't eaten enough when he woke just after 4am, but he refused to eat more, so it was no surprise there

I'm really worried that the constant change in BF pattern, and the green poo, will give him a lactose intolerance when he's older. I'm also worried that the constant change in spacing between breast feeds will mess up my milk supply. Aside from what seems to be a bit of reflux, LO puts on weight well and is generally happy when he isn't crying because he doesn't want to nap, or is hungry.

Help! I don't know what to do anymore, and I'm really confused with all the information out there. A step in the right direction would be a gift right now! Thanks everyone.

(sorry for the long read)

Default Re: Feeling a little lost...

Have you read up on foremilk/hindmilk issues? They are usually associated with good supply and overactive (fast) letdown, and can cause green poo, fussiness, and gas. The remedy is usually spending more time on one breast before switching. So you start by feeding one breast at a time. If that doesn't do it, you feed on one breast for several hours before switching, bringing the baby back to that same breast if they ask within a certain period (say, two hours to start). You can increase the time on one breast to three or four hours, even. That way, the baby gets more of the higher-fat hindmilk (your milk starts out lower fat, and then gets higher fat with time - too much of the thin foremilk is what causes the trouble, but it's not like your milk magically changes from foremilk to hindmilk at some point, KWIM?). You keep experimenting with this until the poop turns more yellowy. (If you're like me, you'll never completely get rid of the green poops, but you can improve matters, and if your baby is happy and doing well, that's the main thing.)

Based on the info you've provided, I can't say that dairy intolerance is NOT a factor, however, this might be another avenue to explore. What you describe sounds JUST like my baby when I was struggling with oversupply and OALD. It settled down when my supply regulated, and for the record, he tolerates dairy no problem.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks, I've already tried block feeding though, and it didn't change anything. Now the problem is getting him to actually feed, he refuses more than 5 min or so, screams his head off if I try and feed him, even if I burp him and give him time to digest, and wont' sleep more than 30 / 40 min at a stretch

How are his diapers? Also do you often feel full or engorged? If the number of wet/poopy diapers is good and you often feel full, then I suspect you are dealing with OS/OALD. What you are describing sounds exactly like my experience with my son. From your post, it sounds like you tried block feedings for only a couple weeks. When I had severe OS, it took closer to 6 to 8 weeks to get the problem under control.

The constantly changing nursing pattern is unfortunately pretty common for young babies and can be very frustrating. He may be filling up after only 5 minutes of nursing. As babies get older, they often get more efficient. Watch his diaper output, if it is still good, you are doing fine. My daughter has always typically only nursed for about 5 minutes before popping off. She is now 13 months old and has continued to grow and develop just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    How are his diapers? Also do you often feel full or engorged? If the number of wet/poopy diapers is good and you often feel full, then I suspect you are dealing with OS/OALD. What you are describing sounds exactly like my experience with my son. From your post, it sounds like you tried block feedings for only a couple weeks. When I had severe OS, it took closer to 6 to 8 weeks to get the problem under control.

The constantly changing nursing pattern is unfortunately pretty common for young babies and can be very frustrating. He may be filling up after only 5 minutes of nursing. As babies get older, they often get more efficient. Watch his diaper output, if it is still good, you are doing fine. My daughter has always typically only nursed for about 5 minutes before popping off. She is now 13 months old and has continued to grow and develop just fine.
    If he's gaining weight and the diaper output is good, then he's getting enough, and the fussiness is more likely caused by OALD. Block feeding can help OALD a little, but also keep in mind that babies tend to grow out of OALD - as they get bigger, they learn to handle the flow.

You can call me JoMo!

Block feeding can take weeks and weeks to really control an OS and its accompanying OALD. And babies do grow into an OALD.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

So I shouldn't worry about the fact he is suddenly not emptying the boob and only wanting to eat for 5 or 6 min now on 1 side per feed? He pretty much is causing me to block feed with this latest pattern. It just seems odd especially as now he won't sleep more than 30 or 40 min between feeds.

when this happened to us, I started hand expressing off some milk before letting LO latch to ensure the flow was a bit slower, and she was getting hindmilk when she fed short times. It took about 2 weeks, with blockfeeding and one-sided feeding, but her poops have evened out. We just had an issue again at 5 months because of the long weekend... I have OS and it went into overdrive from three days of EBF, so I will probably have to take my own advice again. Her poop has been greenish the last 2 days, and she's been super fussy.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mshw.mum View Post
    So I shouldn't worry about the fact he is suddenly not emptying the boob and only wanting to eat for 5 or 6 min now on 1 side per feed? He pretty much is causing me to block feed with this latest pattern. It just seems odd especially as now he won't sleep more than 30 or 40 min between feeds.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

He might be emptying the breast in just 5 minutes. If you have an OALD, that is entirely possible.

The nap thing...IME, they change sleep patterns all the time.

If baby is growing well, I would not worry.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!