Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: O/S issues

Default O/S issues

This morning at 8:30AM, I pumped 9.5ounces total from both sides (after DD had fed around 5AM from one side only). Then at Noon, I got 5oz, and just now at 3PM another 4oz. Incidentally, DD usually drinks 4oz, about every 3-4 hours, and likes to eat it in shifts. IE: will usually drink 1-2 ounces, take a break for 15-30 minutes then finish. She gets 3 bottles during the day @ daycare between 7:30AM-5PM, and they like me to provide an extra, fresh bottle in case of emergency, so I always have enough for the 4 bottles, and even extra over and above that. Sometimes, because she only feeds from one side at a time, I get really full on the other side, and have to hand express in between feeds.

My questions are this:
    1) I realize this is an oversupply, but is the vast range "normal"? (IE: getting almost 10oz in the AM, but only 4oz in the PM...)
    2) Any tips on getting her to take both sides at a feed, or do I just have to either deal with it or hope she wants more as she gets older.

She is 5months old.
    Last edited by @llli*rdh2378; September 6th, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: grammar
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Default Re: O/S issues

That's pretty typical for moms to get more in the morning than the afternoons. While the amount is an OS, the range can be totally normal.

I have that type of OS myself, and when I was able to breastfeed, I just left it alone. It went away after a while. However, I didn't pump as I didn't have a FT job. I know that the moms with OS who pump either drop a session, like blockfeeding would, or they don't pump to empty as the more you pump and remove, the more you stimulate your supply and can be uncomfortable on the weekends. Does that make sense?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How did you know you had OS w/o pumping?

I have been afraid to mess with anything as it's sort of nice to have "extra" milk, but I think DD struggles w/ the OALD that is resultant from the OS, so maybe I should space out my pumpings and only pump 2x vs. 3x at work. This morning's pumping was obviously bolstered much by the 3 day weekend, as I typically get more like 6-7 oz in the mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    That's pretty typical for moms to get more in the morning than the afternoons. While the amount is an OS, the range can be totally normal.

I have that type of OS myself, and when I was able to breastfeed, I just left it alone. It went away after a while. However, I didn't pump as I didn't have a FT job. I know that the moms with OS who pump either drop a session, like blockfeeding would, or they don't pump to empty as the more you pump and remove, the more you stimulate your supply and can be uncomfortable on the weekends. Does that make sense?

I knew I had an OS because I was constantly full. Baby could never empty a breast. And when I did pump (because I was given some really bad advice and told to pump after feedings, and I did work PT) I could pump 8 oz or more. Baby would have green stools a lot. It was easy to see the OALD that usually comes with an OS. Plugged ducts all the time. That sort of thing. There's a lot of symptoms of OS that show up if you aren't pumping, if you know what to look for.

You are right, though, in that the OALD and OS can be problematic for the baby. While the extra milk is nice, you can always add in a pumping session if you need it later; you've also probably got a nice storage going too. Ask jeno....I think she's been in your shoes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We've been one sided feeding, and sometimes block feeding, and she has been gaining nicely and hasn't had any green/foamy stools. She occasionally will get overwhelmed with a strong letdown and choke, sputter, and pull off, sometimes not wanting to nurse again, but for the most part, it's been ok. Thanks for the input!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I knew I had an OS because I was constantly full. Baby could never empty a breast. And when I did pump (because I was given some really bad advice and told to pump after feedings, and I did work PT) I could pump 8 oz or more. Baby would have green stools a lot. It was easy to see the OALD that usually comes with an OS. Plugged ducts all the time. That sort of thing. There's a lot of symptoms of OS that show up if you aren't pumping, if you know what to look for.

You are right, though, in that the OALD and OS can be problematic for the baby. While the extra milk is nice, you can always add in a pumping session if you need it later; you've also probably got a nice storage going too. Ask jeno....I think she's been in your shoes.

with Susan. You know you really have oversupply if you're engorged or full even after your baby nurses to contentment. I don't think 9 oz in the morning is technically oversupply unless your baby is not keeping up when you're EBF (as opposed to pumping, so like, on weekends). If your baby nurses happily on weekends and you're not feeling engorged, you may have a very ample supply, but it's not technically O/S. Pumping too much CAN aggravate OS, though. I got my OS under control but then struggled with it again when I started pumping to make a stash, because my body responds very enthusiastically to stimulation! I started pumping, and the boobs were like, "Okay! Make milk for triplets!"

I think a lot of OS mamas really just have very "sensitive" supply. Their supply quickly adjusts up with the slightest provocation, but not so quickly back down. Double-sided pumping makes your body think you're feeding two babies, and it immediately responds in kind.

Green stools can point to a foremilk/hindmilk issue, which is really common in women with high/oversupply. So is the OALD. However, it sounds like you have this under control with your block feeding. The choking and sputtering may continue to some degree until your baby gets old enough to handle the faster flow. There isn't really a "cure" for OALD (although there are things that may help) but babies grow out of it, so don't let that worry you too much.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I do get engorged and leak on weekends, and the sputtering/choking happens mostly on weekends and during the early morning feedings during the week.Her reflux is a LOT better, and again, no poopy issues. Still gassy, but I think most of the discomfort of late is due to excessive drool in her stool, b/c I think she's teething. She has beem moaning lately and had a really bad meltdown on Monday, and she's generally a very quiet and happy baby. I haven't weighed her lately, so I'm going to do that tonight after her bath and see what's going on there before I decide if I'm going to do anything or not. Thanks mamas!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    with Susan. You know you really have oversupply if you're engorged or full even after your baby nurses to contentment. I don't think 9 oz in the morning is technically oversupply unless your baby is not keeping up when you're EBF (as opposed to pumping, so like, on weekends). If your baby nurses happily on weekends and you're not feeling engorged, you may have a very ample supply, but it's not technically O/S. Pumping too much CAN aggravate OS, though. I got my OS under control but then struggled with it again when I started pumping to make a stash, because my body responds very enthusiastically to stimulation! I started pumping, and the boobs were like, "Okay! Make milk for triplets!"

I think a lot of OS mamas really just have very "sensitive" supply. Their supply quickly adjusts up with the slightest provocation, but not so quickly back down. Double-sided pumping makes your body think you're feeding two babies, and it immediately responds in kind.

Green stools can point to a foremilk/hindmilk issue, which is really common in women with high/oversupply. So is the OALD. However, it sounds like you have this under control with your block feeding. The choking and sputtering may continue to some degree until your baby gets old enough to handle the faster flow. There isn't really a "cure" for OALD (although there are things that may help) but babies grow out of it, so don't let that worry you too much.

You may want to intentionally back off the pumping in the mornings, so that your weekday supply more closely matches your weekend pumping.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I only pump during workdays, I don't pump at all on weeknights or weekends. Does this change your suggestion at all? DD usually sleeps 9PM-5AM, but last night was up at 3AM, 4AM, 6AM. Wasn't really hungry... ate a bit at 3AM, and again @ 6AM, but mostly just was wanting mama I think. I am pretty sure she's started teething (drooling, entire fist in mouth, moaning, chewing, red bottom and trouble sleeping)
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    You may want to intentionally back off the pumping in the mornings, so that your weekday supply more closely matches your weekend pumping.