Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone, should I even start?

Default Domperidone, should I even start?

My DS is now 3mos old. Breastfeeding was a challenge from his first week. Poor latch, bleeding nipples, engorgement leading to decreased supply which began bottle feeding. But the worst was his hospitalization and surgery during his 3rd week of life. The stress of all this killed my supply. I went down to mere drops of milk. His hospital stay all but cemented his bottle feedings but I still offered the breast occasionally. He was very uncomfortable at hospital so I didn't want to frustrate him by forcing empty breasts on him. So more and more the breast disappeared. But I really wanted to breastfeed. I got good encouragement at hospital and within 2 weeks of leaving hospital I got an appt with a lactation consultant. She basically said my milk had left and I needed to relactate. Pumping sessions, hand expressing, nursing, blessed thistle, fenugreek, nursing teas, you guys know the drill. It was very stressful and frustrating not getting results and irritating your baby with empty breasts. So I stopped the regimen. My hubby thinks our son is doing well without the breast. Our ped is always happy with his development at his appts considering his ordeal so early in his life. But I still think about breastfeeding. Am I depriving my son? Should I have tried harder? I ordered Domperidone and it finally arrived last week. I haven't touched it. I've been reading up on side effects and the fact that it does enter the breast milk and I get scared. My son is happy and healthy, my husband is happy, is worth it to risk possible long term side effects to me and my son and start this drug? We never know what could be discovered down the road about this drug. Should I really try to breastfeed again with a 3 month old? I'm not even looking to nurse exclusively. I know the benefits of breastfeeding. I was breastfed for 9 months. I am on FMLA leave right now. So should I put my son and I back on the road to breastfeeding with Domperidone? My breasts are empty and I haven't offered the breast in over a month. He most likely won't want anything to do with my breasts.

Default Re: Domperidone, should I even start?

Welcome! I am so sorry to hear that you and your baby had such a rough start. I know how painful and challenging your situation was- I didn't have it quite as bad as you did because my LO never needed to be hospitalized, but I did have the torn-up nipples and I did have to pump and bottle feed and do all the teas and herbs and drugs... It was the hardest work I have ever done, bar none.

My understanding is that Domperidone is very safe for use by breastfeeding moms, in particular because dom is thought to not cross the blood-brain barrier. You might want to e-mail Dr. Jack Newman (http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/) for a more informed medical opinion on that. I used Reglan, which many consider to be the less safe alternative, and had no ill effects to either me or my baby (now a happy, healthy five year-old who can read, whistle, and tie her own shoes, )

Regardless of what you decide about Domperidone, I think you can still get back on the road to breastfeeding without using it. in my personal experience, frequent pumping with a good pump (think hospital grade rental) is far, far more efficacious at stimulating milk supply than any supplement or drug on the market. And if the baby will nurse, that's the cherry on the sundae, since often a nursing baby is the best way to stimulate supply.

In this day and age, you'd have to have lived under a rock for a long time to not know the health benefits that accrue to you and your baby through breastfeeding. So purely from a health perspective, I think it's easy to answer the question "should I try again?" Yes, of course you should. If that's the only consideration. And that's a big "if" for a lot of moms! Your happiness, your mental health- those are very valid considerations. The good thing about your situation is that you get to define success for yourself, and you get to weigh your options and figure out what makes sense for you. If that's an all-out effort culminating with the baby being 100% breastfed, or if it's a single bottle of breastmilk per day, or of it's calling it a day right now and accepting that you did the best you could with the tools you had- it's up to you.

Just one word of advice about husbands- I think that often when a husband says "everything is fine, why mess with it?" what he is really saying is "I couldn't stand seeing you struggling so hard with breastfeeding, especially because there was nothing I could do to help you." I think that if you ask a guy what he thinks you should do, he doesn't know and he looks for an answer that will "fix" things for you. So if you want to breastfeed, or at least give it another shot, don't ask your DH what he thinks you should do. Make a decision, and then tell him what you expect from him in terms of assistance.

Whatever you decide, we 'll be here for you and we'll be happy to help!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh my! Why didn't I join this sooner! Thank you so much for your response! I'm truly truly grateful. You were so insightful and compassionate. Yes, I agree about husbands. Mine felt totally helpless when he would see me turning my face away from DS so I could cry with pain from breastfeeding with sore nipples. I mean it was really bad. So yes, he will be dumbfounded when I tell him I want to try again. And as I said my aim is not to nurse exclusively. If it happens, FANTASTIC! But i believe some breast milk is better than none at all. This is my first child and I was totally unprepared for the breastfeeding challenges. I thought it was going to be so simple. I bought the $400 pump, the nursing pads, the storage bags and bottles, the works. And then all that happened. But I think I'm stronger now. THANK YOU!

I totally agree with mommal! From your posts, it sounds like you would like to try and feel that it may be important for your LO. If that's the case, I would say try. It's likely that you'll at least be able to get some milk and in the long run if it doesn't work out you will know you tried. What you've been through sounds really tough and I could totally understand not wanting to go there again. But you should ask your self how much you would or wouldn't regret not trying. If you are comfortable with where things are at, that's great. If you would feel like somehow you didn't do or try to do something you feel is really important, than you should go for it.

Thank you both!!