Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged Duct

Default Plugged Duct

Hello,

It appears I am dealing with a plugged duct in my right breast - top left of it is hard. I pump during the day while at work and nurse at night. What can I do to get rid of this?

Default Re: Plugged Duct

This link covers plugs and what to do about them: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry about your plug! I had a terrible plug just a few days ago. I got rid of it after three days thanks to the wonderful advice I got on this site. You can read more on the thread I posted:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...-encouragement

It probably depends on the person, but the single most helpful thing I did was to take a lot of very long hot showers, doing a lot of hand expression and massage there, and then pump or nurse immediately afterwards. This eventually loosened the plug enough that my LO was able to unclog it when she nursed. I know it's hard to take showers if you're at work during the day... so if you can do moist compresses at work, and then shower or bath at night. I also filled a bowl with warm water and plunged my breast in it for a while.

Oh, and I also pumped and nursed more often than usual. My supply went down while I had the plug, but pumping and nursing often helped (also helped with the engorgement).

Good luck, I hope you get rid of it very soon!

Thanks for the responses! the plug is gone!!! - I slept with a heating pad on low on my breast until my LO woke to nurse. While she was nursing I massaged the plug and within a minute it was gone. Phew - I guess it could have been ALOT worse.