Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cold/allergy meds

Default cold/allergy meds

which cold/allergy meds can i take that will be safe for baby and wont decrease my supply?

Default Re: cold/allergy meds

I can't tell you what to take, but I can tell you what to avoid -- the one that's been linked to reduced milk production is pseudoephedrine. It's the ingredient in the original Sudafed, but not Sudafed SE or most other OTC cold medicines. In many countries it requires a prescription, and in the US you have to sign for any medicine containing it at the pharmacy, so it's pretty hard to take it accidentally.

If you have questions about any specific medicines, let me know and I can look them up for you.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

advil cold/sinus?

or advil congestion relief

Both contain ibuprofen, which is classified in Medications and Mothers' Milk (by Dr. Thomas Hale, pharmacologist) as lactation risk category L1 (safest), and by the American Academy of Pediatrics as "Maternal Medication Usually Compatible with Breastfeeding."

According to the Advil website, Advil Cold and Sinus contains ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine, so it's one that may cause a reduction in milk supply.

Advil Congestion Relief is ibuprofen and phenylephrine. Phenylephrine is classified as L3 (moderately safe). Hale says

Although no data are available on its secretion into human milk, it is probable that very small amounts will be transferred into milk, but due to its poor oral bioavailability (<38%), it is not likely that it would produce clinical effects in a breastfed infant unless the maternal doses were quite high. (Medications and Mothers' Milk p. 820)
    It also says that some people are concerned that phenylephrine could suppress milk production like pseudoephredrine, but so far there's no evidence that it does.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--