Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal in fruits and veggies! (VENT)

Angry Cereal in fruits and veggies! (VENT)

Just started sending solids to daycare with my 7.5 month old DD. Ever since she started they have been telling me "oh she seems to want more", "grabs after the other babies bottles", "cries sometimes after her bottle" yadda yadda.

After two days, the say that she is so much happier with the solids, no crying, etc. So WHY OH WHY are the next words out of her mouth that "all the other babies have a little bit of cereal mixed in with their jarred food" and we should do that too.

So, what is the rationale for this? I know why not, but why? I am SO SICK of everyone offering their two cents about feeding, sleeping, etc.

Default Re: Cereal in fruits and veggies! (VENT)

It's hard to ignore others comments or suggestions, statements even. At the grocery the other day, a woman asked where the baby cereal was. I politely told her, but what I wanted to do was tell her that her lo was too small solids and she shouldn't give her cereal anyway, but then I would have been that person giving advice about what she should do with HER baby. And just yesterday I had a close friend tell me my dd would sleep through the night if I let her cio. She said," Just one time for twenty minutes and she will never do it again." I said "No way would I ever let her cio." I said, "even if I have to nurse her to sleep til she's 3, I won't do it and one time for twenty minutes, are you kidding me. Yeah right." This led into a heated discusion about how long one should nurse. At which point I was hot and told her I would nurse til she went to school. Which honestly is not true! She was mad for the rest of the day. Oh well. Some people are not open to new ideas that don't follow exactly what there baby book tells them and has been telling them for years. Or what they did with their baby.

Isn't it kind of weird that your friend got hot about how long you would nurse? Like it's up to her? I am amazed at people and how they take your issues as their own sometimes! My brother is constantly telling me this or that that I do wrong (mind you, sadly, his son is 18 and has a drug problem and quit school, like I want to follow my brother's advice?). At the end of the day I have to remind myself that when we shut our front door my home holds me, Ed and Aaron and that no one else can know each detail needed to help decide something and therefore no one else's opinion really makes a difference if it doesn't work for us. It's hard, as you said, to not get upset, though!

I sometimes remind myself of that when I see certain posts on this website that irritate me, too. Or debates that I'm on one side of in my mind. It's not like I'm going to change someone (like the cereal comment you wanted to make but held back- good for you!). Unless, of course, you are truly having a good conversation with someone who is inquiring about something and is receptive to your opinion.

Keep up the good work, both of you, it's YOU who is the mommy and your SO who is the Daddy and you make the decisions for your LO- not the outside world!

Thats sad about your friend. I have a friend who is still BFing her 16 month old daughter. I think its lovely that she had the opportunity to do that and that it still works well for both of them. I probably won't be able to do that with my DS but I support her choice. We have two other friends who are getting less and less subtle about telling her she should wean her daughter. It makes me feel bad that they feel the need to criticize her.

I put a little cereal in my babes veggies she it constipated her. I did it because people were telling me all the time how surprised it is that she doesn't eat cereal and how she's not on formula that she needs those vitamins.
    You know whats best for your baby and that reminded me that I also know whats best.

Maybe just tell them that LO doesn't like cereal. My dd ate rice cereal and oatmeal at first, but now that she knows I have fruits and veges for her she won't touch it. Even if I mix it in with fruit she can smell it and gets really upset.

Why don't we just take all the available foods and mix them together, and always feed all of that? Why does cereal have to be mixed in with everything? I remember my neighbor telling me when my twins were newborns (2 weeks old) that we should start feeding them water at night because then they'd learn that they wouldn't get formula (I only made it bfing a week with them) and would sleep through the night. Good one. I had another friend say that she started her son on cereal in the bottle at 1 week. She claimed that breastfeeding didn't work for her son because he was TOO BIG, and was too hungry all the time. Another good one.

Good thing that you are knowledgeable on what is good for your lo and don't let these other people "bully" you. Stick to your guns. You know what's best for your lo.