Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Just for fun" food

Default "Just for fun" food

DD is eating and enjoying solids pretty well. I do BLS and she eats a little bit every day at lunch and dinner, but usually not breakfast. She likes to nibble on my snacks as well, usually fruit. My question is whether it's okay to give a baby some food (healthy, obviously) just to keep them occupied and happy for a little while, even if they don't seem to actually be hungry. For example, last week I let DD munch on a tomato while we were on our walk just so she wouldn't whine that she was in the stroller instead of the Ergo. She didn't seem hungry, just interested in exploring the food.

I'm mainly concerned because of a family history of compulsive eating. I don't want to create the habit of eating out of boredom, yet I only give her healthy food and if she is uninterested, of course she could always just ignore it.

Any thoughts?
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Default Re: "Just for fun" food

I'm okay with my little ones 'grazing' while they're discovering. As you said, they aren't always hungry. Sometimes it's just about playing with it, rolling it around in their mouths, taking it out and smushing it. We'll often have Nutrios, grape quarters, cheese, puffs, etc. out at any given time. I then offer yogurt, apple sauce, etc. in between to feed it to them (otherwise my living room wears it). I prefer the variety to round out their diets. They eat it as they're hungry, they don't as they don't. I figure it's like breast feeding on demand. They learn what fills them, they decide when they're full and stop. They control the input. Which I feel, gives them a healthier foundation than allowing them to get super hungry, gorge themselves to be over-full, so that they can get themselves to the next meal.

I think it was one of the Momma's here in another thread (can't remember which) who posted Dr. Sears take on grazing: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ddlers/grazing We were doing a version of this without even knowing it was a defined approach.
    Last edited by @llli*amysmom; September 5th, 2011 at 07:04 PM.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I think that as long as you let her control how much she eats (and even whether she eats at all) you are on the right track. Isn't that the basic philosophy of breastfeeding on demand, so shouldn't that apply to early eating as well?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

From about 8 months on I would give DJ unpeeled uncooked apple wedges to munch on. They kept him busy and happy and made no mess. Win win.

Way too lazy for formula