Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLS, gagging, makes me nervous

Default BLS, gagging, makes me nervous

I'm in need of assurance and or advice. My LO is 8 months and we've been exploring BLS for about a month now, and see that he's gradually becoming more into actually putting the food in his mouth and eating some! ( I find little pieces in his poop ) BUT he seems to gag ALOT, he stuffs his mouth and then starts talking or playing and he's acting like a little squirrel. Granted it's all very soft, bigger foods, but you know he bites pieces off etc...It was getting to me and I even just stopped for a few days He really enjoys it though and today the timing was good for him to have lunch with Momma so he had some steamed squash and a little avocado, and this time even threw up a bit. Ug.
    Help?
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

Default Re: BLS, gagging, makes me nervous

How much are you putting in front of him? Some babies like stuffing their mouths so much that they forget that they need to chew and swallow in between bites. So when it is time to swallow- gag! They realize that they have like ten chunks of food in there! If this is the case, putting one piece of food at a time on the tray may help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I found that taking an infant/child first aid course help me alot when my LO wanted to start eating foods.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Oh, I remember this so well. The gagging thing was so scary! My DH, who is way more comfortable with CPR, etc., would always tell me that it was normal and that he was doing fine and not really choking (that is, he didn't stop breathing) but it would always give me a heart attack!

All I can say is, smaller amounts and pieces of food, and gagging is normal, and this phase will pass, as your baby learns how to chew and swallow better.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes, I feel confident of child CPR, that helps. And b/c of this I only put 1 or 2 pieces in front of him. I guess I want to know that this is a phase and will get better and others have experienced it? B/c the other thoughts I have is he's not ready? But if it's a phase I could deal?
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

It's a phase. Some kids just have an extra-sensitive gag reflex. He'll figure it out, though!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

THANK YOU! We will then move forward!

I am doing BLS with my lil one since she was 6 mths and the same thing happened when she started to take it in around 8 mths(as compared to sucking the juices out and spitting everything out), and I do remember reading online about how babies develop, I cant remember what it said exactly but I do remember it is around 8 to 9 mths that they develop something in the back of the thought that helps them swallow. Keep it up and this will pass, and my almost 12 mth old still gags occasionally on BM and water when she is rushing but she can chew on chicken or steak like a champ! You are doing a great job keep it up

sorry that should say *throat*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Oh, I remember this so well. The gagging thing was so scary! My DH, who is way more comfortable with CPR, etc., would always tell me that it was normal and that he was doing fine and not really choking (that is, he didn't stop breathing) but it would always give me a heart attack!

All I can say is, smaller amounts and pieces of food, and gagging is normal, and this phase will pass, as your baby learns how to chew and swallow better.
    Yep. My son is 2 and I still can't give him lot of food at once because he doesn't know how to eat slowly and not shove it in. Well he knows, he just doesn't.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold