Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to throw in the towel??

Default Re: When to throw in the towel??

I would top him off with one oz after 3 separate feedings.

Way too lazy for formula

[QUOTE=@llli*sambai2;1189474]After his 4 month check up they wanted me to follow each feeding with Neosure, but he refused. QUOTE]

Was it straight Neosure or EBM fortified with Neosure b/c my LO happily took it if it was my milk with Neosure added in
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Oh wow, that sounds like an incredibly stressful situation.

So he wouldn't take the Neosure, but he will take a bottle of expressed milk?

How often are you able to pump? Are you able to get any milk if you pump after nursing? 3 ounces is a feeding, so you've got one supplemental feeding covered right there.

I hope the nutritionist will be helpful. I'd also suggest looking for a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) if you haven't already met with one. An IBCLC should be able to help you figure out the best way to supplement and still keep nursing, if that's what you want to do. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. It may be that as you're able to deal with the problems he's having, nursing will get easier.

Keep us posted!

Is pumping going OK? But I know how difficult it is to feed, pump and care for other kids too
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Mama, hang in there, this must be really tough and stressful! But it sounds like you're doing your best to do what's right for your LO!

You mentioned that he won't eat solids or take formula? If he's having tummy trouble already, I wonder if solids or formula would just make things worse? It sounds like your thinking of trying to pump, maybe pumping as often as you can would give you enough BM to supplement with that? At least until he gets a little older and is maybe more ready for solids. What ever you do, just remember that (as pp said) nursing doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I would top him off with one oz after 3 separate feedings.

Keep us posted mama!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I think the formula and the solids definitely make things worse for him. Last night I gave him 4 ounces of ebm and he was up most of the night arching his back and refusing to nurse. I think it was because he ate more than his tummy could handle so I will be doing the ebm spread out through the day. I never did add the neosure to the bm, one because my dr didn't suggest it and I'd hate for him not to take that and ruin that good stuff!!
    My girls will start school on Thursday and I'm hoping to add a pumping into my morning.
    Also today was a good day so hopefully this is a beginning, crossing my fingers.
    Again thanks for all the support, I really needed/need it. Yesterday was a real bad day!!!