Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep position and plugged ducts

Default Sleep position and plugged ducts

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a connection between your sleep position and clogged ducts. And if so, what sleep positions, arrangements, props etc you use to avoid them.

I just got rid of a bad case and I'm scared of getting another one. As a result I could barely sleep this night, I kept waking up, checking my breasts and changing positions. It seems that everything puts pressure somewhere in some way. Even lying on my back--my boobs spread out and the ducts kind of press against the chest wall. This is where I had the clog and I actually was sleeping on my back when it happened.

I'm not that big--I'm probably a 34 D or DD (depending on fullness). My breasts are wide (as opposed to long, if that makes sense). I don't wear a bra to sleep (the first time I had a clog a long time ago it was from the elastic in a sleep bra).

Sorry for so many posts on clogs, but it was a tough bout and I am scared of getting another one. And I definitely need some sleep after spending the nights waking up every two hours to pump and massage the clog!

Default Re: Sleep position and plugged ducts

No, not a weird question, but yes, that happens to me sometimes. But I don't do anything to avoid them, because, as you noticed, it's not possible to avoid pressure somewhere.

I sleep on my left side, and somehow, that rarely causes a clog for me. I'm not big either, a 38 D, and I don't wear a sleep bra either.

Don't forget the other clog-busting things: drain your breasts completely when you can/baby is nursing, wear wool nursing pads (it really works), soy lecithin, cut your saturated fat intake (even a bowl of ice cream can give me one ).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Some moms definitely notice a connection between sleep position and clogs- but what position is going to cause a given mom to have a clog is variable, so it's hard to say "just avoid position X and you'll be fine", YK? You kind of have to experiment. Poorly-fitting bras are probably a greater risk than sleep position, so I think you are right to avoid them. Have you been professionally fitted recently? It's particularly important if you've been wearing underwire bras, since they are notorious for causing plugs (in some moms- I wear underwire bras all the time and never have problems, but that's me!).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Don't forget the other clog-busting things: drain your breasts completely when you can/baby is nursing, wear wool nursing pads (it really works), soy lecithin, cut your saturated fat intake (even a bowl of ice cream can give me one ).
    I had been eating a LOT of saturated fat without realizing. I was eating a lot of shredded coconut bars, and I just checked the fat contents... ouch! No more coconut for me. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view...), I'm off dairy, so at least I am not eating cheese and ice cream anyway. Silver lining!

That might help. Some women just seem to be really sensitive. I had plugged ducts continuously for the first 8 months with my first until someone finally told me that. Once I cut that out entirely, it helped. The wool nursing pads were also amazing!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Some moms definitely notice a connection between sleep position and clogs- but what position is going to cause a given mom to have a clog is variable, so it's hard to say "just avoid position X and you'll be fine", YK? You kind of have to experiment.
    Makes sense... sometimes I wish motherhood came with a sure-fire manual. But the answer I get the most when I ask people for advice (on anything from diaper changes to breastfeeding) is: trial and error! I have to let go of my type-A personality...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Poorly-fitting bras are probably a greater risk than sleep position, so I think you are right to avoid them. Have you been professionally fitted recently? It's particularly important if you've been wearing underwire bras, since they are notorious for causing plugs (in some moms- I wear underwire bras all the time and never have problems, but that's me!).
    Oh, you are sooo lucky!!! I never was able to find the right fit for nursing bras, so at some point I gave up and started to wear only oversized sports bras. And if they shrink a little in the wash, they hurt already! I think my breasts are very sensitive.

I thought I was already doing so much to prevent ducts, but there's always something I hadn't thought of before...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I had plugged ducts continuously for the first 8 months with my first until someone finally told me that.
    Oh! That is a looong time to have recurrent plugs! I only had them twice in 5 months and I've found the experiences to be quite enough... I was also eating a lot of chips... with all the things I eliminated from my diet for my LO, there's so very little that is both tasty and practical (i.e. quick). I was sampling all the UTZ chips I could try... My blood must have been creamy!!!!

As for the nursing pads, I almost never wear them now. I don't leak very much... The disposable pads gave me a skin rash anyway. I did find some nice thin bamboo pads (Bamboobies) to wear on special occasions and I love them, they're so soft.