Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When baby is wide awake at 4:30 AM!

Default When baby is wide awake at 4:30 AM!

Hi there
    My baby is 15 weeks old and still waking 2x at night. He generally is asleep "for the night" by 7:30. Wakes somewhere between 11:30 and 1:30 to nurse then lately, again between 3:30 and 5:00 am.

Last night, he was up at 4:30 am and he was WIDE AWAKE. I nursed him, and he ate well, but he just wanted to play and play.

What do you do in these instances? I laid him back down and hunkered down on the floor where he couldn't see me until I was certain he was asleep....
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: When baby is wide awake at 4:30 AM!

You roll with it, because there is nothing you can do. You can't make a baby sleep. You can, however, provide conditions which are conducive to sleep- keep the lights off or very low, don't talk, don't engage him in playtime, don't walk around, don't make yourself a snack, etc. I think your "hunker down" approach was right on target!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    Hi there
    My baby is 15 weeks old and still waking 2x at night. He generally is asleep "for the night" by 7:30. Wakes somewhere between 11:30 and 1:30 to nurse then lately, again between 3:30 and 5:00 am.

Last night, he was up at 4:30 am and he was WIDE AWAKE. I nursed him, and he ate well, but he just wanted to play and play.

What do you do in these instances? I laid him back down and hunkered down on the floor where he couldn't see me until I was certain he was asleep....
    You say at 15 weeks he's STILL waking. My son will be a year on Saturday and wakes at least 2 times in the night. Usually 3-4. Pulling him into bed is the only way for me to get any sleep because even if he falls right back down, once I'm up I'm awake.

My advice would be to get to the feeding as quickly and quietly as possible. No lights, no talking and no crying. That will usually create that middle of the night playtime. If I have the baby in bed or at an arms length, I can snag him very easily and nurse him before he has a chance to wake up. And other times, it's just the way that it is. Sorry, you're not alone!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I would say 15 weeks and ONLY waking up twice, yay!

I am having a similar situation with my 8 month old. He is so excited about all the new things he is learning that he never wants to sleep. Naps during the day are short and infrequent and his night time sleeping has begun to be difficult, too.

My frustration isn't with him waking up, but I get the impression that when he wakes up he wants to nurse out of habit, not because he is hungry. He barely latches on and stares off into space while sucking, and it is very uncomfortable for me because his is not latching all the way and my nipples are getting sore. This can go on for 30-45 minutes without him falling asleep. My husband's attempts at lulling him to sleep with rocking and cuddling have not been working either. Hopefully it is a phase and it won't last.

Anybody else have this issue?

I just started having this issue.. My little guy was sleeping like a dream and at 13 weeks started having trouble. It has been a week and it is getting worse. He was waking 1-2 times a night to feed, then right back to sleep. Last night he went to sleep at 8:00pm, woke at 9:30pm awake and smiling, then again at 12:30am, then fussed until 5:00am, then woke again at 6:00am and then I gave up. He napped like a champ all day. Tonight he is asleep so far, but I am not optimistic. I am exhausted, moody, tearful, and feeling completely overwhelmed for this whole parenting thing. Wish I could offer advice, but I am right there with you! Hopefully it is a phase and sleep will happen again soon for us all- even in 3-4 hour blocks, I would be happy!