Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pissed off employee

Unhappy Pissed off employee

I am full time breast feeding and LOVING it!! I am supposed to return to work in a week and I have notified my boss of this.. I told her that I will need to pump at work and she told me that we needed to discuss it and my schedule.. I am the manager where I work and I am supposed to make my own schedule so I don't know why she said that.. I think that her and my company are going to give me a problem about pumping at work.. I live in Tennessee and I know that is one of the states that workplaces have to allow pumping.. So I don't know how to approach them when they tell me they don't want me to pump.. also, I work in a studio BY MYSELF 100% of the time and I don't even know how I am going to be able to pump when I may possibly have customers the times that I need to pump.. Please someone give me answers!! I'm so mad because I just know that they are going to try to tell me that I can't pump and I don't even know HOW I am going to pump at work!!!?

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default Re: Pissed off employee

Hi mama,
    wow - you sound mad! But listen, they haven't YET said you can't. (and you can by the way!)

I would arm yourself with info to take when you have a chat. And they may just want to talk about what it means. I had a discussion with my employer who wanted to know more info. Maybe have a look at the breastfeeding network pages and print off leaflets so IF they do say no - you can say, well, yes - bacause...! Or even, just present the written info to them at them at the start like I did.

It is their duty to provide a fridge if there isn't one already, and a private area to pump.

BTW, how old is your lo?

hope this helps a bit
    x
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l

Are customers scheduled or do they come in whenever? If they are scheduled, maybe you can adjust it so that you get a few blocks of 15-30 minutes alone. If they come in whenever, do you still get breaks (ie lunch) when you could pump? You could also squeeze in sessions on the drive to and from work if you have a hands-free set-up. Good luck!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

@homeopathicbaby let's just say that where I work they could care less about their employees wants and needs.. I have worked there for two years and have had 7 district managers (bosses) its sad .. People don't last long because of the stress.. But I don't want to quit and fall into their trap like everyone else.. Kallen is 10 weeks old. He was only '5 '10 when he was born and now is '13 '5 . He eats allll the time!! =) ... @mek , yes there are scheduled appts BUT we also accept walk ins.. And people DO walkin all day.. My company has this policy that we schedule appts every hour then every 30 minutes then every 15 minutes and STILL take walk in! And I do this all by MYSELF!! And yes that's having to photograph , make packages, sell and ring up the customer (about an hour process) its ridiculous! And that's why I think they will not want me to pump cause I will be cutting into "customer time"

They haven't said "no" yet, so I think it makes sense to go in with a positive attitude, a concise list of what you will need, and suggestions for how you and your employer can work around those needs. (Like, if you are out of the studio for 20 minutes, can you maybe get a webcam for the desk that allows you to keep an eye on what is going on? Or could you set up a private, screened-off area in your workplace, enabling you to stay on-site while you pump?)

Thiat may be a useful resource for you: http://www.womenshealth.gov/breastfe...breastfeeding/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Someone comes in to cover your lunch?

Way too lazy for formula

Do your self a favour and remain, positive, positive, positive! Have the info for them, answer their questions with a smile, behave really excited about it all. It's best to give them the benefit of the doubt. Have the legal stuff along with the benefits of breast milk stuff.

Now, You can get a sign to hang on the door saying "back in 20 minutes" for when you are pumping. Close the door, lock it and pump. Just block out the appointment times for when you're going to pump, if someone walks in, tell them you're closing for 20 minutes but will be happy to help them when you return. Good luck!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Wow, this sounds like a really stressfull situation. But I agree w/PP's. I think I'd go in with a plan and let them know that "I'll need to be able to pump x number of times. I know that this may seem difficult given the situation, but here's how I can make it work". That sets the basis for a discussion in an open way and still sets your expectation. You might even start with more than you really think you need so you can let them talk you down. Maybe "My doctor said that while I'm BF'ing I will need to pump at least every 3 hours. Since I will have to leave the house at 7:00 (to get the baby to the sitter, etc) and I typically start at 8:00, I will need to pump at 10, 1 & 4." In a 'facts of life way. Then if they fuss, you could say "Well, I may be able to do the last session on the way home" Something like that?

you must work @ a certain big box retailer's portrait studio... I just had photos taken there and found a website about what a rotten place it is to work.... with PP's. Have the information ready, but don't freak yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kalandmel View Post
    @homeopathicbaby let's just say that where I work they could care less about their employees wants and needs.. I have worked there for two years and have had 7 district managers (bosses) its sad .. People don't last long because of the stress.. But I don't want to quit and fall into their trap like everyone else.. Kallen is 10 weeks old. He was only '5 '10 when he was born and now is '13 '5 . He eats allll the time!! =) ... @mek , yes there are scheduled appts BUT we also accept walk ins.. And people DO walkin all day.. My company has this policy that we schedule appts every hour then every 30 minutes then every 15 minutes and STILL take walk in! And I do this all by MYSELF!! And yes that's having to photograph , make packages, sell and ring up the customer (about an hour process) its ridiculous! And that's why I think they will not want me to pump cause I will be cutting into "customer time"
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

What is their policy on lunch breaks?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting