Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sling/Wrap question

Default Sling/Wrap question

Any recommendations on a sling/wrap/carrier I can use while BFing my DS? He's at the breast for hours in the afternoon and I'm going stir crazy! I know I should be relaxing and enjoying, but my DD (18mos) is going stir crazy, too. She is starting to act out. She's bored with all the books, puzzles, blocks, and other activities I can do with her while DS is nursing. It'd be helpful for my sanity, too, if I could just get up and move around. Suggestions?

Default Re: Sling/Wrap question

Hey mama, you should check out the Babywearing section of the forum here: http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?60-Babywearing. Tons of information!

Best of luck!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Definitely check out the baby wearing forum. For me, the easiest to nurse in is a sling- either a pouch or ring sling. It also gives you great versatility with what holds you can do as your baby grows (I bet you could even get your toddler in one.) So my money's on that for nursing, even if it's not my favorite carrier for regular usage (which is the Ergo, hands down.)
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Thanks for the tips! I've been poking around on the baby-wearing forum and came to the same conclusion, lizziesmom! Just ordered a pouch sling, and I'm considering making my own ring sling. Unfortunately, my DD is 36 lbs. and 36 inches tall. I think she's over the carrying capacity for a sling! lol

Yeah, 36 lbs is probably a little heavy for a sling. I can only really wear my 22 pounder in the sling for maybe 15 minutes before my shoulder starts to burn.

Making your own sling is super easy and I totally recommend it. The hardest part is picking out a suitable fabric. Actually, I just remembered I have several pairs of extra rings sitting around (I ordered the multi-pack sampler) in neutral colors. I'd be happy to send you a pair. I really despise clutter sitting around my house and am happy to see things go to a good home. PM me if you want a pair.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010